pg.2

Ruth showed me the chalk marks on the wall in the library, next to the place where we pin up the different maps we find into a chaotic collage.

The maps themselves each only feature one Individual state, published by a different publisher in a variety of zoomed in percentages, so the font and colors sometimes were spectacularly clashing when viewed together.

They had taken turns marking each day without me. I could tell who put down which mark on the wall as I ran my finger down all the lines.

Junior's marks were the most prominent, thick and looking as though he just harshly flicked his wrist over the wall with determination. Ruth, on the other hand, took the time to carefully make hers in a straight neat line right next to her brother's and Joseph being the youngest-- his own line was a nervous squiggly thin line.

My heart felt like a lead weight in my chest. They lived in limbo for months, not knowing whether I would ever come back or if they remember enough to survive without me.(@minipurse)

I turned to hug Ruth suddenly, squeezing her gently at first. She hesitantly curved her thin arms round my back.

"Joseph never lost hope that you would come back.....he always woke up every morning early and went to bed late waiting for you" she spoke into my shoulder " He was the one who refused to leave the bunker for somewhere else and made Junior mad when he hid the keys for the rv... So if any one needs the most credit its him." Her voice became muffled at the end, I squeezed her tightly for the last couple of seconds before letting her go.

"Well, I'm glad you guys stuck around even if it was at the insistence of Joseph" I chuckled a little bit, still holding her in my hands.

I've had already gotten a full nights' rest and there was so much to do. We relaxed all day yesterday enjoying our reunion.

Today the chores can't wait any longer.

I had found in the fur bundles that he had returned my old boots, knife, and holster. Though it does suck that my old clothes must've been shredded, I at least have a new set to keep. The food that he gifted replenished the pantry plenty with some extra overflow.

But that's ok, we need it. No one in this time after civilization does anything without some kind of reward, be it for the ego or for the supplies. Its our bargaining chip for whatever we will need in the future.

Leaving the bunker, making my way up the ladder and down the various halls of the compound. I am ready to see the state of the rv, eager to get started after so many months away.

Parked in a large mostly empty hanger and with car parts littered all around the wall, it is the only machine here working.

The hangar is big enough that it must have housed at least 3 big ass planes in its heyday.

I see Joseph in the drivers seat with his feet dangling high above the gas pedal and the long legs of junior poking out from underneath the engine compartment. The ramp, that we salvaged from a junk yard, holding the front effortlessly.

The engine squeals on but when it starts idling the engine sputters to a stop. " Dammit! Try turning it on again!" Junior shouts from underneath.

Joseph turns the key but the engine doesn't turn on anymore.

Click..... Click..... Click....

The engine is silent and nothing happens no matter how many times Joseph turns the key.

" Hey" I call out, already striding to the driver's side door. Junior wiggles his way out from underneath, grease streaking his brow and hands.

" Sup, sis" Junior relaxed against the front of the RV, his face scrunched with frustration looking down into the popped hood.