pg. 6

Long chapter alert

Huddling together in front of the truck we waited, agonizing our present predicament.

Skylar hung to Logan's side, pressing her face into Logan's obliques for comfort. The youngest two, Joseph and Ruth, hid behind Logan's tall frame. While Junior and I closed the sides hiding them as much as possible.

Where was the person who had called us out? What do they want?

Together our four pairs of eyes slowly searched the surrounding area.

The deserted road had started grating my nerves raw for some reason.

Dust washed over us in a thick cloud, prickling our eyes. The wind loudly whistling into our ears.

Slowly a small figure in the far off distance appeared.

I clenched my jaw, angry that we can't do anything to prevent this.

" Logan do you see what I see" I whisper.

" Yes" Logan said straightening her shoulders, ready to look intimidating to whoever was coming.

The figure quickly came closer and the dust cloud waned as it got close enough to be within viewing distance..

It emerged as a four legged animal with perked up ears and a coat blacker than obsidian.

A dog.....

Though I had never seen this particular dog breed before.

I craned my neck for a better look.

The dog stopped a couple feet from us, sitting on its back legs...watching us carefully with its big blue eyes.

Intelligence seeped from this animal as it took two deep breaths wiggling its nose frantically.

It tilted his head to the side playfully and panted, his big pink tongue bobbing from his mouth.

It got up confidently, tail wagging high above its body, trotting towards us.

Immediately I looked fearfully at the fast incoming dog. Facing upwards toward Logan questioningly, I waited for a reaction. Her face stayed frostily calm and calculating eyes flicked down to my own, reassuring me with a look.

Nobody moved.

At a distance it looked like a regular sized dog, up closer it was clearly massive with a coat of short wire-y hair. He wiggled around with his strong body slapping us. Gently pushing its large head between us, curious to see Ruth and Joseph hiding behind us. They huddled closer to Logan's back.

When it was done he walked back to the same place he had sat.

We looked around confused and profoundly relieved the dog didn't attack us or show signs of aggression.

" Hello again...."

We looked around again, expecting to see the person that call us out this time.

" Over here.... I am glad you had the common sense to be nonthreatening."

All our eyes snapped to the dog.

It opened its mouth yawning, displaying a row of white sharp teeth.

Words began spilling out of its mouth again.

" Why were you being followed? Be truthful, ladies" he urged with none of the friendliness he'd shown before.

We stared and the dog stared at us back.

Logan swallowed hard, slowly measuring her words. " I am a mechanic by trade but I specialize in robotics. My trade is very rare and very sought after. I would be a very convenient person to have as a prisoner, not to mention the free labor." She shrugged tersely.