𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗳𝗼𝘂𝗿

𝗟𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗯𝘂𝗹𝗲 (𝗻.) - 𝗔 𝗵𝗶𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝗰𝗲, 𝗮 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝗰𝗲 𝗶𝗻 𝘄𝗵𝗶𝗰𝗵 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗳𝗲𝗲𝗹 𝘀𝗮𝗳𝗲𝘁𝘆 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗳𝗼𝗿𝘁.

Anastasia

I gaze at the vast blue in front of me, stretched for miles and miles. So surreal, so peaceful. Nothing like it can ever relate to this. The soft breeze carries the salty scent from the sea around the surface. Slowly shutting my eyes, I inhale the smell of it. This is paradise. I felt at ease here. My whole self is rejuvenated by the sea breeze and salty sand it carries in its waves. My demons don't torture me here. This place is sacred, almost like a catholic church; yet more powerful. It had always felt like home here, in Abuelitas villa. (Grandma's).

The French styled mansion was a wedding gift from Abuelo to Abuelita and I adore every nook of this place. Right from the French windows, to the grand chandeliers. They spent their years here running the Spanish Mafia, while raising and educating kids.

Papa and Aunt Sophia.

When Aunt Sophia got married, Papa followed suit 6 months later, moving out of the mansion. Papa was adadment he wanted everyone under the same roof, but Abuelo was set on spending his late years in peace with his wife, away from the Mafia. Yes, Abuelo enjoyed following Spanish Tradition, but he also wanted his children to be independant.

This was paradise to Abuelo and Abuelita. Their home. Their own little sanctuary. I can understand why they didn't wanna leave this place, after all it was perfect.

We always have family dinner here on a Saturday, it was a rule Abuelo made and we still follow it. When Abuelo died , Abuelita refused to move out, although Papa insisted for her to move in with us. He was even ready to stay here. However, Abuelita being stubborn, refused. She prefered to cherrish the memories she and her late husband then leave them behind. She prefered her own company and decided to keep the house to herself. That's what she told Papa. But I know that's not the reason, I think she just didn't wanna interupt Mama and Papa's life.

Once, I vaguely remember her confessing Abuelo's soul was still here. She refused to let go of the love she and him shared. I didn't get the chance to meet him, he died before this family adopted me. However, from the stories I have heard, he was just like Papa, brave, strong hearted and dangerous.

Many feared the Spanish Capo, Santiago Ivanov. I have seen the paintings and pictures of him and they had reason to fear him. In every picture you would see he would have a emotionless look making him look extremely intimidating. His face was only ever devoid of any emotion. Abuelita always tells me, he kept it for her. She moreover uncovered that he was a downright hopeless romantic and a lover which was very hard to rekon with.

"Shine in the dark and be your own star," Abuelita's voice breaks me from my reverie.

"Huh, Sorry Abuelita." I quickly apologise to the older woman.

To say old woman would be a insult to her, because even in her late eighties, Valentina Ivanov still had the killer looks. Mujer guapa is what they called her.

Mujer guapa, she wasn't just pretty she was beautiful in her days, and too this day she still is. She was also a well known killer. She knew her way with guns. I'm sure she still has one tucked away in her skirt and under all the cushions in the living room. After all, she is the Elder.

"What are you thinking about, bambina?" She asks, her ocean eyes trained on me with worry marring in them.

I shake my head in a silent apology. To the outer world, she might be the elder, but to me she was Abuelita. Always Abuelita. The woman who spoke for me, and when she said something, it was a new law. No one ever went against her and I doubt they ever will if they value their life. Sophia was furious at her mothers decision but didn't dare to cross her. I still get the chills when Aunt Sophia enters a room. But she wouldn't do anything if someone else is there, she couldn't risk getting caught. Of course, Papa now being 'Capo' has the full right to make decisions for the whole family and the buisness for that matter. However, when it comes to important crisis's like war, the elder always gets involved.