Chapter Fifty-Nine

I stand staring at the test in my hands

"I'm not pregnant!" She calls out happily from beside me.

"I am..."

"Congratulations! I know how Vincenzo has wanted kids for a while now."

"You're not the only one who doesn't want kids."

"Look I know the timing isn't gr-"

"No! You don't know Max, that's the issue. I don't want kids, I can't go through another miscarriage. I won't be a good mother, I don't know how!" I yell out, my body wracking with sobs of my own.

Maximillian's face softens as she holds me in her arms and we slowly lower ourselves until we are sitting on the floor and leaning against the cabinets. 

"It's gonna be okay."

"I.. I'm scared." I cough out through my sobs. 

"I know, it's okay to be scared."

"I didn't want this." I cry out.

"It doesn't matter because now you have it and you can't change that."

The door flies open, and Roman walks in fiddling with his belt as he begins to undo it.

"Shit, sorry." He mutters, fastening his belt back up and turning to leave before turning back to us to take a second look. 

"Are y'all.. okay?" He asks.

No one responds and he just nods leaving the room as I continue to sob in Max's arms. 

I continue to mutter repeatedly about how I didn't want a baby, and how scared I was, as Max runs a soothing hand in circles on my back and whispers sweet words in response.

It takes as little as two minutes for the door to swing open, the slam of the handle against the wall making me jump.

Vincenzo rushes in.

"No.. no.." I whisper repeatedly through my tears.

"What's wrong darling?" He asks, reaching a hand out to me as he crouches before me.

"No, I can't tell you."

"You can tell me anything." He assures in a soothing voice.

I wanted to tell him right there and then, but how do I tell him, how do I explain to him that I want to get rid of it, and how I feel about the entire situation?

He wouldn't understand.

He never does.

Vincenzo wants children, and I can't even comprehend being a mother.

How would that even work?

When I tell him, he's gonna leave me alone.

I can't deal with that.