Awaiting | منتظر

Tu bhalay rah mei dewaar bana betha rahe,

Janay walay nay mere yaar, chalay jana hai.

-----------------------------------

Faryal crossed off another date on the calendar. she looked at the encircled 18 and mumbled, "9 more days to go".

She felt a tug on her dupatta, she shifted her eyes on the floor Zahra was sitting near Ammi's feet.

"Zahra, you are sitting here silently", Faryal smiled. She bent down and picked up Zahra in her hands. Zahra struggled to take the calendar from her.

"Look", Faryal showed her calendar. "9 more days to go and you will be a big girl. Haina Zahra? but no matter how old you get, you will be Ammi's little girl forever", she said lovingly. Zahra gawked at her and then smiled.

"My good baby", Faryal smiled and kissed her. "Let's get you dressed. After all, it's your birthday month. You should look and feel perfect".

Faryal hid the calendar inside the closet. She picked out Zahra's red-colored floral summer frock and other accessories.

"Now Zahra will get ready", she said in a baby voice and placed her on the bed.

Faryal kept talking to Zahra, Zahra too kept blabbing in reply and giggle. Zahra tried to run away every now and then but Faryal would catch her.

"Sabr sabr...bus hogya Zahra (wait wait...it's almost done)", Faryal said as she put on Zahra's sandals. Zahra as usual got busy checking out her new outfit. Faryal took Zahra's face in her hand and looked at her with a mixture of emotions.

"That's the least I can do for you to make you feel special", Faryal said.

"Ammi", Zahra showed her the flowers on her dress

"Beautiful", Faryal smiled but her eyes twinkled with tears. Her heart ached to know Zahra's birthday was coming up but no one has spoken about it yet. Dressing up Zahra daily in new clothes and giving her the toys, mostly the ones Ayza had bought for her. These were the only things Ammi was doing for her since the birthday month had started.

"Ammi will make sure you always get the best. Always and forever". She kissed Zahra's head. "I promise".

She mentally noted to ask for her baba jan's advice this time.

-----------------------------------------

"Woah Zahraaa, you.are.looking.so.prettyyyyy", Zain said dramatically. "You got these Good looks from me". Zahra chortled.

Zain turned his head towards Faryal and said "Bhabhi don't you think so she got flattered".'Of course, she did. Zfter all, she is a Durrani", Faryal laughed. "Say this in front of her daddy".

"Daddy", Zahra said hearing it. Faryal mentally face palmed herself for reminding her.

"Daddyyy", Zahra shrieked.

Huzaifa came forward and took Zahra from Zain. He settled down Zahra on his neck with her feet on either side of his neck. "Hold me tightly Zahra", Huzaifa said.

Zahra was holding his hair tightly. Huzaifa winced but didn't stop her.

"Let's do the hoarse riding, chachu will be Zahra's hoarse", Huzaifa held Zahra tightly and started walking. In the beginning, Zahra looked scared but with the passage of time she started giggling and let out voices. Faryal heaved a sigh of relief.

"Did Zahra sleep well last night?", dadi jan questioned.

"Dadi jan she kept calling Zohaib, but then after convincing her for a while she fell asleep".