Chapter 12.

TOBI

We both agreed on the surgery option and had earlier on been informed that it would be performed tomorrow. After giving the Doctor our thanks, we proceed to her ward. The sight I am met with crashes my heart but for her, I know I must stay strong. Tubes were connected to her body. She could not breath without the support of the oxygen mask clasped to her nose. She is also on drip and the only sound in the room is that of the heart monitor. I am not a 100% positive I made the right decision but miracles could happen.

The doctor assured that the hospital team, in collaboration with the specialist doctor they are bringing, would do all it takes to ensure she lives.

"About Seyi. Don't you have other family members that she could stay with?" Farida asks when we are finally seated in my car. Yeah, I offered to take her home and unlike the other time, she actually complied this time. First, it is my little way of expressing gratitude to her for turning up, even though it was late. Secondly, it is few minutes to 12am and it is unsafe to leave her or even let her book a cab as she had already given her friends her car to go home with. The third reason is a thought I'd rather not explore or give a thought to.

"Nahh I would rather she stays with me, even though I'll be bad at the job of caring for her." I respond to her and she just hums, in her thoughts.

"Your address, please." She calls it and I quickly type it into the map. We both don't talk as I turn on the ignition and start driving in accordance with the map's directive. Soon enough she breaks the silence.

"And she can't stay with me because I share the house with my best friends." She states and from the corner of my eyes, I see the slump of her shoulders.

"Or." A crazy idea comes to my mind. She looks at me, waiting for me to speak.

"You could move into my house for the time it takes for my mother to recover so you can be with her." I shrug.

"Ehn?" She asks, shock written all over her face. I am sure the word she used just slipped out of her mouth.

"I know you are joking." She looks at me briefly before turning to look at the road.

"I am very serious." I state, because I seriously am. I cannot take care of Seyi all by myself. She needs someone who she also connects with a great deal. Even if contrary to what the said person suggests, she is not family.

"But I am not family." She states. Is she a mind reader or what?

"Still, you are close to them." By them, I mean my mom and sister.

"That decision is too extreme, abeg." Yeah, I know it is which is why I don't respond to what she just says. Engrossed in the music booming out of the car's speakers, we both don't say anything again as the drive continues to her house.

In accordance with the time projected by the map, we arrive at her place. Her neighborhood does not look bad at all. It looks cozy and as expected, everywhere is quiet.

"So, here we are." I announce, stating the obvious. She just rolls her eyes at me.

"Thanks for the drive back. I really appreciate it." She states.

"You're welcome. It's the little I can do." I say in response, watching a smile grace her tired face.

"I'll do it. But we need to discuss rules." I nod my head at what she says. Of course, I understand what she is referring to and there definitely has to be rules.

"Thank you." I know she is not still certain about this. I could hear the doubts in her voice and won't be surprised if she changes her mind later on. However, the fact that she is willing to compromise for Seyi's sake, I am grateful.