Chapter 15.

FARIDA

Mondays are not my favorite days of the week. Imagine having the weekends to rest and relax and then boom! Monday pops up out of nowhere, disrupting the perfect and sweet rest you were once accustomed to; for a short period, that is.

The reason why I like Thursdays is simply because they give you an anticipation for Fridays which happen to be the shortest work day. This one is different, though. There has been so much work to be done. Seyi's school does not open on Fridays so she's currently at her Art class, thankfully.

It is 4pm and I am still here, working. This is quite unusual, considering the fact that I am supposed to be resting right now, preparing for the night out with the girls and some of our other friends. It is Bukky's birthday and the most I have been able to do is wish her on the phone. Everything is just so annoying. She has a birthday dinner which I must attend. The Louboutin shoes I ordered is meant to arrive today but I haven't even had time to check the app to know if it is already at the store. Yeah, I ordered a pair for her since she has been eyeing the ones I have for a while now. I know Tamara is going to get jealous, lol.

I am currently shooting daggers at my boss, AKA Tobi, hoping he does not catch on it. This man wants to force his obsession with work on us. Yeah, I am a workaholic but mine is child's play compared to his. Who fixes a meeting for Friday afternoon? With the work load on us.

"Miss. Lawal, what is your take on this?" He asks, directing everyone's attention to me. I am supposed to be good at multitasking when it comes to my thoughts and being in line with my environment. I honestly do not know what he just said but I know this discussion is pertaining the recent Petroleum Industry Bill approved by the government and how we intend to work in accordance with it to our benefit.

The company is thinking of venturing into Natural Gas, seeing as it has prospects and is profitable. I need to say something. I cannot come and fall my hand in the presence of these people. In rank, I am the most junior here. Age-wise too. I am well aware that they are still looking at me, waiting for my response.

"I agree and think it is a profitable sector for us to venture into as profit accrued from it would be huge, placing the company on the map." Yeah, exports are still being considered.

"Yeah, that's an excellent one, Miss. Lawal." So, I did not fall my hand. I could see the smiles on their faces. Behind Tobi's smile, I could see a downcast expression. So, this man wanted me to mess this up? Hohoho! Ntoor. In your face!

The one thing bugging me about this bill is this whole NURC and NMDPRA issue. The fact that NNPC would now become a Private Limited Company is already confusing on its own. The others that would be merged to form NURC and NMDPRA, do they then split their staff according to Upstream and Midstream/Downstream? I guess we will find out as time goes on.

The time the meeting finishes is 5:30 pm. Tobi is picking Seyi today so I'm free to do my waka. I breeze in and out of my office and soon enough, I'm settled in my car, about to leave when I hear a knock on my door. Raising my head, my eyes meet those of Nathaniel, Nate for short. Typical description; Hot and single. And guess what? Well, we'll find out soon. I wind down the window to fake a smile, waiting to hear what he wants to say.

"Hey, Reeda." I internally cringe. Here he goes again, with that nickname I despise. You see, Nate works with one of our partner companies and he just happens to be here at this moment. What kind of annoying coincidence is this one, Dan Allah?

"Hi." I respond, amidst fake smiles.

"It's been a while. I called you yesterday, you didn't pick." Yeah, I did not pick because you are not important.