Chapter 14.

FARIDA

For a moment, we both stare at each other, making me uncomfortable before I quickly clear my throat and tear my gaze away from his.

"Sorry." We both voice out at the same time. Awkward.

The space in this walkway was big enough for the both of us to walk freely and that's why it is still a surprise that we had to bump into each other. That's quite strange, I must say. Talk about consistent wrong timing.

"Uhm There's a message from the hospital. I was just headed for your office." I state and he raises an eyebrow.

"Oh. Really? Alright, let's go." He does a 360, leading the way. As we continue walking, I decide to speak.

"He said he has news. The doctor, I mean." It's been three weeks and five days since the surgery was conducted. No improvements yet. And yeah, I have been at his place for almost a month now.

"Really?" He asks and I nod.

"Where is your phone? He said he's been tying to reach you but you've not been picking up." I speak.

"I left it in my office. I just got out of a meeting." We make our way into the said office and he shuts the door. His secretary's expression when we passed by her without having an argument or trying to rip each other's head off since more than anyone she has been a witness of many of our fights.

"He said we should be there as soon as possible." Tobi sighs and rubs his forehead at the same time pacing from one end of the room to the other. I bite my lip and look around until he finally snaps out of his moment.

"I..." I want to speak but he interrupts me.

"Let's go." Tobi reaches for his key and walk out of his office, not bothering to look back. I excuse his behavior because there is so much on his mind. He has been trying to cope. On my own side, Tabitha went ahead to give my contact to my mom so now she's also disturbing me. It seems like she gets a new number anytime I blacklist her.

"Ah, welcome." The Doctor greets when he sees us.

"Good morning, Doctor. Any news?" Tobi says, straight to the end.

"Please, sit. In fact, there is good news." He says, a smile dancing on his lips. Tobi visibly sighs and I smile, hopeful that the good news is a huge step compared to our knowledge of her health status.

"She's responding to treatment now. Good news is she is awake and healing excellently." Thank God. We sigh in relief. We were beginning to lose hope as almost a month after, she still had not gained consciousness. The heart monitor had not yet flatlined and that was the only hope we had. Now, that he says she has woken up, we would need to see her.

"Can we see her?" Tobi says, voicing out the exact thoughts in my head.

"Yes." We finally get to see her.

"Tobi. Farida." She slurs, having a small smile on her lips. She coughs and tries to sit up. Tobi walks briskly to her to help support her body. Her hand reaches out for him and he smiles.

"How are you both?" She asks.

"I'm supposed to ask you that question."

We have kind of been staying off each other's paths since the incident that happened 4 nights ago. So, when we got back to the office, we go back to not talking. Earlier, I had to speak because of the Doctor's call. My mind wanders back to what had happened.

Flashback

Tobi was not at home yet and that was none of Farida's business. Seyi was in her room and Farida just needed to get an apple from the fridge. After picking it up, she turns to leave, only to hit someone. Obviously, Tobi. When did he get in? His hand snakes around her waist to hold me in place.