Wedding

"Var, Kanya ki maang Mein sindoor bharo

"Var, Kanya ki maang Mein sindoor bharo." the priest said making my heart skip few beats.
That's it. I will be completely married now.
("Groom apply Vermillion in bride's hairline.")

My mumma came behind me and held my Maang tika so that Manik can apply vermilion in my hairline.

He applied it with a little force which made my skin pain a little. As he applied the vermillion tears started flowing from my eyes. Tears which I was controlling all the time tonight. Some sindoor fall on my nose but I chose to ignore it.

"Ab var Kanya ko mangalsutra pehnayega." the priest said again.
("Now groom make the bride wear this mangalsutra.")

Manik picked the mangalsutra from the decorated plate panditji was holding and made me wear it.

"Ab vivah sampann hua.......". I heard the priest saying.
("Wedding is completed now.")

I was numb.

I was feeling suffocated.

I am married now.

Married to the person I hate the most, to the person who hates me, the person who's disgusted just by my mere presence, the person who thinks I am a gold digger.

The mangalsutra he tied around my neck was choking me. I was feeling like it's a snare.

I was brought away from my thoughts by a gentle touch on my shoulder. I looked around to see that everyone's eyes were focused on me. Manik was standing.

"Nandu stand up baby. You have to take blessing from all elders." Navya said in my ear and helped me in standing up.

I and Manik first took Panditji's aashirwad then we went to Manik's dadu. His mother Nyonika aunty hugged me and said that I am just like her daughter. One by one our whole family gave us blessings and then we were took to the food counter for dinner.

We took our seats on the chair. With me and Manik on the head of the table's chairs. We were sitting side by side and all our cousins were sitting around us.