Chapter 1 | A New Dawn

Jim Lake Jr. POV

It was a lovely sunny day. Perfect for a casual ride along the backroads in the valleys beyond Arcadia Oaks. Upon his moped, he followed along the winding road, cutting through the sea of greenery like a black serpent beneath a cloudless blue sky, wind roaring against his ears as he picked up speed. Suddenly, as if time has slowed, he faintly hears a familiar voice calling from a distance.

"Jimmy!"

In the blink of an eye, he finds himself standing upon a meadow of wild grass and flowers stretched as far as the eye can see.

"Jimmy!"

Again, he catches the name in the wind, its voice familiar and light, reminding him of one particular little girl who once called him by that nickname. Sweeping his gaze across the sea of green, he catches sight of a little girl waving to him excitedly, her bright, innocent smile shining like the dawn of a new day.

"Come on, Jimmy!"

Beckoning him to follow, she turned around and ran, her little turquoise dress with white frills folding in the wind as the breeze swept through her wavy, golden-brown hair.

"H-Hey, wait for me!" He runs after the little girl, whose playful giggles echo across the field. "Come on, slowpoke!"

"Wait!"

BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jim groaned as his morning alarm went off, interrupting his dream. He's been having dreams almost every night for the past month. Every dream he had was old memories of his childhood friend. A friend he considered most precious to him until he lost her one tragic night ten years ago, never to be seen again.

He slides off the motor pedal magazine from his face and turns to look at the time: 6:00 A.M. He better get moving. He promised his best friend, Toby, to make him lunch today.

Jim quickly gets out of bed to start his day, unaware that in a few moments, everything he thought he knew was about to change.

Unknown POV

A girl with golden brown wavy hair and turquoise eyes walked alongside her tall friend with hazel-colored eyes partially covered by indigo streaks of hair as they headed toward Arcadia Oaks High.

"You sure you want to enroll in this school, love? I'm sure Arcadia Oaks Academy would be lucky to have you instead," Douxie asks the girl beside him, his hands in his jacket pockets.

The girl sighed lightly to herself. "Again, I'm sure. You don't have to worry about me, Doux. I can take care of myself."

Douxie chuckled. "Oh, I know that. It's not you that I'm worried about. It's the school."

The girl laughed, looking up at her friend. "Really, Doux?"

He shrugs, smiling at the girl, his hazel eyes twinkling with mirth. "I'm just saying, love. You'll be sweeping people off their feet once they meet you."

"Like I did with you?" She smirked.

"Ha!" Douxie laughed, rubbing the back of his head. "Not literally, I hope."

The two chuckled as they approached Arcadia Oaks High, the sky lightening with the coming dawn. They walked up the front steps towards the main entrance through the central courtyard. Inside, they went down the hall to the main office with faculty prepping for another school day. A woman with black hair and glasses behind the desk glanced up at their arrival. "Good morning. How may I help you?"

The girl glanced at Douxie, who nodded encouragingly before walking up to the front desk with a charming smile. "Hello there. I'm a new student. I've been told to come today for my first day of school."