Chapter 5 | Mourning

Liz Walker POV

In the cover of night, the sound of a skateboard echoes down the empty street toward the Arcadia Oaks Canal. Pulling up on the side of the canal, Liz Walker kicks up her skateboard to her hand and heads down to the bottom of the canal. At the bottom, Liz sees Blinky and AAARRRGGHH gathering the stone remains of Kanjigar. Catching sight of the approaching human female, Blinky waves to her. "Lady Liza! You've returned!"

Liz smiles and waves, but her smile fades when her eyes settle on the remains still left on the canal. She stands silently, different emotions beginning to rise within her, but she keeps it from drowning her, knowing it won't do good for her if she loses face. Together with Blinky and AAARRRGGHH, they stood in a moment of silence. In remembrance of their fallen comrade and foster figure.

Ending the moment, Liz grabs onto her pendant necklace. She bends down to touch a stone from the remains and incites an incantation spell to transport the remains to the Hero's Forge. A flash of silvery-blue light later, the stone pile vanishes as well as the stones pieces that Blinky and AAARRRGGHH were just holding.

Liz stands up as Blinky compliments her. "Astounding, Lady Liza! Your skills have advanced greatly since your return to Arcadia Oaks."

Liz merely shrugs. "I had a lot of practice. And a good teacher." Teachers. Plural.

"If only I mastered the arts of magic, would I be worthy of those words. Your wizard is lucky to have you as an apprentice."

Liz chuckles at that. "Douxie and I aren't exactly a "Master and Apprentice" duo. We never established it officially, so we're just your typical wizard and witch. And besides, Douxie is still an apprentice to this day. 900 years to be exact."

"Poor boy, it's been so long since Merlin fell into a deep slumber. He can only wait until his master's return and be officially appointed as a full-fledged wizard."

Liz nods in agreement. "You said it."

Few trolls remain in contact with the wizard apprentice since the Battle of Killahead Bridge, more so than before since Liz was brought to Heartstone Trollmarket, ten years ago. After Liz showed potential for wielding magic at such a young age, Douxie was brought in to guide her in the path of magic. The two of them were inseparable much to the dislike of others, but it was their affinity for magic that drew them close together. They were so close, it's as if they were already friends before they were introduced. Or so that's what Liz thought. She remembers that used to have a crush on him once for a brief moment, but later outgrew it when she became Guardian and busy when started training.

"Lady Liza?" AAARRRGGHH calls Liz, breaking her thoughts of the wizard apprentice. "Yes, R?"

Blinky coughs, grabbing Liz's attention. "As I was saying, Lady Liza, perhaps it would be wise to train our new human Trollhunter, since you are our Guardian, former pupil of our late Trollhunter, and a human, you have the qualifications of a perfect trainer for Master Jim."

"I don't think that's a good idea. In my book, experience outranks everything. In fact, I don't have that much experience under my belt to teach, especially training a new Trollhunter."

Blinky blinks at me. "Lady Liza, have you finally accepted Master Jim as our new Trollhunter?"

"Now wait just a minute, Blink. I did not say that. What I meant to say is, due to my lack of experience and years' worth of knowledge on the matter of Trollhunters, I believe that you should take the mantle. Not me."

"No, no. I certainly can't. Not after training Unkar, the Unfortunate." Blinky shakes his head, crossing his arms.

"Come on, Blink. I know you. What happened to Unkar was...was..."