Chapter 32 | Birthday Bane

BOOM!

A loud rumble shook the glass window, frightening a little boy to hide beneath the covers of his blanket. Darkness surrounds his trembling form on the bed until flashes of lightning reveal shadows creeping across the walls and ceilings, resembling every child's nightmare.

With each round of lightning and thunder, Jim gradually calms, getting used to the noise as it blends in with the constant howling of wind and rain that pounds against the glass panes. Peeking from behind the safety of his blanket to stare at the window, Jim's fears change to worry as he watches the storm passing through outside, wondering if Lizzie has returned home from her trip yet.

Not only did this storm cause worry for Jim, but his mother also when he was on his way downstairs and overheard her talking on the phone. Listening in, the words that struck him the most were "not returned," "missing," and "disappeared."

That same night as the storm went on, Jim did not sleep.

Since that night after the storm passed, Jim has been visiting the green-paneled house across the street daily. Peering through the front porch window, he always finds the interior empty, and each time he throws pebbles at Liz's upstairs bedroom window, it remains closed with no sign of Liz greeting him. Even the red car that used to park in the driveway beside the house was still missing. This made Jim frown for days. Has Lizzie and her family not returned from their trip? They should have been back by now. His birthday was coming up soon.

Unable to understand what is happening, Jim walks back to his place but pauses when he notices a police car parked out front. A feeling of dread grows inside of him, knowing that the presence of law enforcement means that something bad must have happened. Breaking into a run, he races back into the house. Upon entering, he freezes at the sight of his mother in tears, her hand over her mouth as his father comforts her. In front of them stood two local policemen, Mr. Scott and Mr. Brennan, in uniform, their caps tucked beneath their armpits with a look of sadness spread across their features.

"Mommy? Daddy?" Jim said, drawing everyone's attention to him. "What's wrong?"

Exchanging a glance with his father, his mother walks forward, bending to her knees to meet Jim's height and placing her hands on his small shoulders. Sad, tearful eyes stare into his own.

"Listen, honey..." Her hands slid along his arms in a comforting gesture, hoping to soothe the future aches she was about to unleash. "There's something that you need to know...about Lizzie and her parents."

"What is it, Mommy? Are they back yet? I just went to Lizzie's house. No one's there. Lizzie did not answer when I threw rocks at her window. They're supposed to be back by now, Mommy."

"I know, honey, I know." His mom drew in a deep breath before continuing, her voice trembling. "T-there was an accident. Uncle John and Aunt Sara, they – they didn't make it. They died and are not coming back."

Jim tilted his head in confusion, his mouth pouting. The subject of death was new to him. "Huh? How come? Why? What about Lizzie? Lizzie said that she would come back soon. She promised."

His mom slightly broke down at his statement, feelings of grief overcoming her as she forced herself to tell her son the final truth she had held for months. "Jim, honey, I'm so sorry. Lizzie...Lizzie isn't coming back. She's been missing for months, and we couldn't find her. She's nowhere to be found. She's...gone."

She's gone.

She's dead.

With a sudden gasp, Jim wakes from his sleep. Steadying his breathing, he takes in his bedroom surroundings, reminding himself that it was just a nightmare, a dream – a memory.