Chapter 14 | Missing Rehearsal

Liz Walker POV

While the human Trollhunter learned about troll history from Blinky, Liz was stuck covering another employee's evening shift in Mr. Benoit's French Bistro with Douxie. Using the time while the restaurant was empty, Liz kept herself busy cleaning the floor with a broom, when suddenly, she found herself in a sneezing fit.

"Achoo!" Liz sneezes for the third time. She sniffles, wondering if the cafe is dustier than she thought. Either that or someone was talking about her.

"You okay there, love?" Douxie asked, approaching Liz from behind as she turned around to look at him. "Yeah, I'm good. Probably just allergies."

"You sure?" Douxie asked again, placing the back of his hand against Liz's forehead with the other hand on his, checking her temperature. Liz reached out, pulling Douxie's hand away from her forehead. "Sure, I'm sure."

Douxie pulled back his hand, settling it on his hip as he looked down on Liz in concern. "Alright, but you need to look after yourself, just in case. You've been out a lot during the evenings and coming home late at night."

"I know. I've been busy lately with the new human Trollhunter. Don't worry, Doux. I can take care of myself quite well." Liz said assuringly. Douxie sighed, crossing his arms in front of him. "If you say so, love. So this new Trollhunter, does he have a name?"

"Jim," Liz replied.

"Jim," Douxie repeated, keeping the name in memory just in case. "So, how is he handling everything?"

Liz shrugged, her hands clasped in front of her over the handle of her broomstick. "He's okay. I guess...for the most part. He's finally accepted his role as the Trollhunter and is currently adjusting with his new life."

"But?" Douxie asked, sensing there was more. Liz sighed. "He challenged Draal and is now on a timer. He fights Draal a week from now."

"Oh. But wait...doesn't that mean--" Douxie said before Liz finished for him. "That they have to fight until one of them is dead? Unfortunately, yes."

"Fuzzbuckets," Douxie swore. Liz nodded, agreeing. "That's what I said."

Suddenly, Liz feels her phone vibrating in her apron pocket, alarming her about tonight's rehearsal coming up soon. Not missing a beat, Liz then gets a call from Claire and answers. "Hey Claire, no worries. I haven't forgotten tonight's rehearsal. I'll be there after my shift."

Liz hears Claire breathe a sigh of relief from the other end. "Great! Just wanted to make sure. Let me know how it goes?"

"Yeah, sure thing. Tell you all about it tomorrow." Liz said.

"Awesome. See you then!" Claire replied before hanging up. Liz sighed, putting away her phone.

"Rehearsal tonight?" Douxie asked, grabbing Liz's attention as he leaned against the nearest table with crossed arms over his chest. Leaning against the table beside him, Liz replies. "Mhmm. Can't miss it. Would you mind if I leave early?"

"I would mind," Douxie admitted before offering her a side smile. "But if you agree to treat me to lunch, I don't see why not."

Liz chuckled, shaking her head before offering a hand to Douxie. "Alright then, you got yourself a deal."

Grabbing onto Liz's hand, Douxie grinned and winked. "Always a pleasure doing business with you, love."

At that, Liz rolls her turquoise eyes. "Don't get used to it, wizard."

***

"How could he miss it?"

Claire said in frustration, placing her books inside her locker as Liz stood off to the side, leaning back against the lockers. Liz shrugged. "Maybe something must have come up that prevented him from showing."

"Well, the least he could do was send an email, a voicemail, or something ahead of time to let you and Ms. Janeth know that he couldn't make it. Instead, he had you both waiting for him for almost an hour, and Ms. Janeth had to cancel practice, and that's never happened before!"

"You seem more upset about this than I am," Liz stated, crossing her arms in front of her.

Claire quirked an eyebrow at Liz. "Well, I didn't give up my role to you just for Jim to ruin it. I know you're willing to put in the effort into it as I would have, but you can't put in your best if your partner doesn't show. A moon cannot shine without its sun to light it."

"Hmm. Good point." Liz replied. From the corner of her eye, Liz notices Jim heading their way. "Speaking of Romeo, here he comes."

"Hey Liz, hey Claire!" Jim greeted as he stopped before Liz. "Liz, could I talk to you for a moment? I need your help with something. It's muy importante."

Claire slammed her locker shut with a loud clang, making Jim flinch and look in her direction as her brown eyes narrowed on him. "Not as important as showing up at last night's rehearsal?"

Walking around a shocked Jim and looping an arm around Liz's, Claire drags Liz away from the boy, who puts his hands on his head in realization before following them. "Oh, man, the play! I wasn't --"

"I don't know what you've got going on, but this play is pretty important to some people. A lot of people will be there, and this is Liz's chance to make a good first impression in school, but she will lose face if her partner doesn't show up."

Stepping in front of the girls, Jim blocked them from going further with his hands up in surrender. "I'm sorry. I promise I won't miss another --"

"Jim," Liz interjected, already sensing Claire was about to blow her head off. "Don't overthink it. Just be there tomorrow, okay?"

Before he could react, Liz used her looped arm to drag Claire away before the girl had anything more to say. A distance away without Claire noticing, Liz looks over her shoulder and mouth, "I'll meet you in Trollmarket."

Jim nodded with a frown on his face as his best friend, Toby, appeared beside him, together with watching the two girls leave. Glancing at one another, Jim then shakes his head before they too walk away, unaware of a particular bully laughing deviously behind them.

 Glancing at one another, Jim then shakes his head before they too walk away, unaware of a particular bully laughing deviously behind them

I know this is a short chapter than usual, but to make up for it, I added Douxie's picture for ya'll Douxie fans out there! (Sorry, Jim. Next time XD).

Fandom Question: What kind of career do you see the main trio would have? 

Please don't forget to vote or comment, if you liked this chapter. I would love to hear what you all think. Happy reading!

- Miss_Nightingale