Chapter 42 | Dessert or Disaster

As the sun sets over the horizon, Liz drives through the suburban neighborhood, the engine of her motorbike thundering across the road toward Jim's house until she cuts it off upon her arrival in front of the two-story home. Getting off her parked motorbike, she hears a soft gasp and rustling of leaves in the distance behind her. Tensing at the noise, she snaps her gaze over her shoulder in search of the source of the sound, but then a man's voice rang out from afar. "Zack, Carina, it's time for dinner!"

Liz relaxed slightly, thinking it must have been the neighborhood kids being curious and spying. Then, she returned her attention to Jim's house and walked to the front door, unaware of Claire's eyes watching from a distance.

Liz rang the doorbell, and instantly, the door opened. Jim greeted her with a slight grin. "Perfect timing. Come on in."

Entering inside, she showed off the pastry box with a smile. "Thanks, I brought some freshly baked goods from Mr. Benoit's French Bistro."

"Oh, you didn't have to bring anything. Dinner's on me, remember?"

"Well, we can't have dinner without some dessert."

"Touche." Jim said, staring at the box thoughtfully before asking sheepishly, "You don't happen to have Lune Croissanterie in there, do you?"

"Just for you," Liz chuckled. Then, upon realizing what she said, her cheeks flushed, and she immediately corrected herself. "A-and for Barbara to try out."

Before Jim could say more, Barbara called out from the dining room, "Liz! I'm so glad you could join us."

Greeting the girl with a warm smile, she set the table as Strickler sat on one of the chairs with a pleasant grin, though his gaze showed otherwise.

"Yes, how delightful. The more, the merrier."

***

While the two adults talk and laugh over glasses of wine, Jim glares at the Strickler in silent rage before shutting the kitchen shutters. Grabbing his phone, he holds the speaker's end to his mouth to whisper, "The teacher is in the hen house; mission is a go."

"Copy that, Trollhunter." Toby's voice echoed through the phone, and the call ended. Liz watched silently, her arms crossed over her chest as she leaned against the counter with a slight frown on her lips. "So, the plan is that while Toby and the rest are breaking into Strickler's office in search of clues on the bridge's whereabouts, all we need to do is keep the changeling distracted until it's all clear, right?"

"Yeah, exactly," Jim replied, swirling the pan as the steak was being swiveled around, sizzling as it cooked.

"Well, Barbara is doing just fine with that," Liz commented, making Jim turn to her in bewilderment. "Are you crazy?"

Liz perked an eyebrow at Jim. "Complete opposite. Look, I get that you're upset about Strickler being close to your mom, but confronting him out of spite would end in disaster and jeopardize the mission."

Jim frowned, shaking his head as he turned back to the steak, slipping it onto a plate. "But he's taking advantage of her to get to me. I will not stand by, watching that man – no, that creature take advantage and hurt my mom's feelings. No way, not when I have the power to make sure it never happens again."

Again? Suddenly, Liz recalls one of Jim's memories – one that seemed buried deep in his subconsciousness, only to be brought to light after their binding oath – which made her heart ache with sorrow. It was a memory of Jim as a young child peeking from behind a slightly open door to reveal his mother kneeling on the main bedroom floor with her back facing him as she wept, her woeful cries filling the room as his cheeks grew wet with tears. Jim made a silent promise at that moment – to never let his mother get hurt ever again.