Chapter 22 | The Letter

Liz Walker POV

While training Jim, Liz asked AAARRRGGHH to send Toby home for the night as it was getting late. Toby was reluctant at first, but in the end, he gave in, trusting Liz that she would escort Jim home safely while believing it to be a good time for quality bonding between the two. Unaware of Toby's wiggling eyebrows at Jim as he left with AAARRRGGHH behind her, Liz assures Jim that his best friend would be fine before resuming the rest of their training.

Another hour of training passed with Jim lying on the floor, gasping for breath as the mechanical obstacles receded to the walls and floor of the arena. Liz walked towards Jim's exhausted figure until she stood next to his head, looking down at him. "You okay there, Jim?"

Busy catching his breath, Jim could only offer a nod as his armor and sword evaporated from his form. Seeing that Jim needed a moment to collect himself, Liz sat down beside him. "You did well."

"Thanks," Jim mutters a reply. He was silent for a bit afterward until he spoke again. "I thought I was going to have to figure out how to fight Draal all on my own tomorrow, but I feel better now that I'm prepared."

"Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst," Liz recited by memory, remembering Kanjigar's words from long ago, but in the corner of her eye, she notices Jim frowning to himself, and she knew what he was thinking. The worst possible outcome: death. Hoping to ease his mind, Liz explains. "Don't focus too much on the worst outcome. It would only worsen your fear. Yes, fear heightens the senses and keeps you alive, but it could also keep you from reaching your full potential as the Trollhunter. To become a true Trollhunter, one must also learn to face their fear and rise above it. In every fight you come across, remember this: always be afraid, but be strong and have courage in the face of fear. It's what the last Trollhunter used to say."

Upon hearing her last words, Jim instantly thought of Draal being the son of his late predecessor and sat up with a frown. "This fight – the match between Draal and me – only one of us can live. To survive, I would have to – I don't want to – you know."

"I understand," Liz said, her brows furrowing at the thought of either Jim or Draal meeting their end by each others' hands. She knew Draal would be more than glad to finish the fight. As for Jim, his human morals may be their best chance in keeping both himself and Draal alive to the end, but she could only pray that Jim would have the upper hand to make it work. Hopefully, her last-minute training session will help tip the scales in Jim's favor. "All I can say is that if you ever find yourself in a situation where you have to finish a fight, just remember that true courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."

As Jim absorbed her words, Liz glanced down at her watch, noticing the time. "We should go before It gets too late. You're going to need all the sleep you can get."

Standing up, she pats away the dust from her denim pants, then offers a hand to Jim. "Wouldn't want you falling asleep on your feet during the match, now do we?"

"If I did, I'd probably upset Draal even more." Jim chuckled, grabbing onto her hand. As soon as Liz pulls him up from the dusty ground with a heave, Jim stumbles forward. Quickly, she steadies him, their arms locked on one another as they stand to their full height, only to look up at each other and notice their faces inches apart. Instantly, they let go of each other, stepping back to put some distance between them.

Ignoring the flutter in her belly at the closeness, Liz remains calm and speaks up. "Alright there, champ?"

"Y-Yeah," Jim replies, rubbing the back of his flushed pink neck, chuckling nervously. "Guess you make me weak on the knees."

Liz quirks a brow at that, but a smirk spreads across her lips. "Oh? Is that so?"

Realizing what he said, Jim blushes harder and immediately waves his hands in panic. "No, no. That came out wrong. Sorry, that was – What I meant to say – "