Chapter 20 | Changeling

Liz Walker POV

A yawn broke out from Liz as she walked beside Claire, who gave her a look. "Trouble sleeping last night?"

Liz thought about last night. As expected, her nightmare repeated itself in her sleep, but luckily she was able to cast a soundproof spell in her room to prevent anyone from waking up in the middle of the night with her sudden screaming. She did not want to make Douxie more worried than he already has, based on last night's discussion after a creepy encounter with a shapeshifting troll. She merely shrugs at her friend. "You could say that."

"Hmm, really?" Claire stares at Liz for a moment before a smug crosses her lips. "Well, I wouldn't be surprised if you did, especially after yesterday."

Liz immediately snaps her head in Claire's direction as her feet come to a sudden stop. Did Claire somehow see her break into the museum last night? No way! It was a school night, and she lives in the suburbs, so she couldn't have been in town. Or maybe someone saw her last night and called Claire about it! Dang it, she should have just teleported inside the museum from her place, away from public eyes. But then, that would risk exposing where they live to anyone who might be able to trace her.

"Huh?" Liz said, pretending to act like she didn't know what Claire was bringing on about. Her feet fidget beneath her as though ready to run at any sign of trouble. Like now, for instance.

Claire crosses her arms over her chest, her history textbook clutched in-between. "Don't play dumb with me, Liz. I know what happened. I saw it with my own eyes, and you can't deny it."

"D-Deny, what?" Liz could feel a sweat drop forming at her temple, her thoughts scrambling to come up with an excuse about last night. Maybe she could say that she was on her way back from her shift at work and got lost because it was dark and late at night. Yeah, that could work since she's technically still "new" to Arcadia Oaks. Right?

Claire groaned, pinching the space between her eyebrows, then walked closer to Liz, who almost took a step back but held her ground when Claire wrapped an arm over her shoulder and whispered to her ear. "That you and Jim are a thing."

Liz paused, her mind disassociating for a few seconds until Claire's words gradually sunken in. She turns to stare at Claire, whose brown eyes twinkle with mischief and a teasing smile spread across her face. Recognizing that all-too-familiar look, Liz quickly ducks forward from Claire's hanging arm and turns around, standing face to face with her. "Jim and I are not a thing, Claire. Where did you get that idea from?"

Claire rolls her eyes, placing her hand on her hip. "Yesterday, I was on my way to the bathroom when I saw you and Jim chatting by the railing. Then, I saw him hug you. When you hugged him back, I was surprised. If only you saw his face, Liz. I had never seen him smile so happily before, but then his friend showed up and kind of ruined the moment for Jim, it seems. Because of that, I thought you and Jim were together. "

"Oh," Liz blushed, mindlessly twisting the button of her denim jacket. "We're not together or anything. Just friends. He thought for a while that I was mad at him for missing rehearsals, but then Toby explained that Jim was going through some stuff, so I assured him that it was okay, and now, we're good."

"Mhmm." Claire was not buying the "just friends" label but chose to let it slide as she continued. "Well, I still think you guys look cute together. And since you're not upset with Jim anymore, then I guess I can let him off the hook for now."

"Really?" Liz chuckled.

Claire's expression turns grim. "Yeah-no. Mark my words, Liz. If Jim causes another setback on this play, I will make sure he does not see the light of day."