Chapter 41 | Dinner Plans

Jim Lake Jr.

Ever since last night, Jim felt the world tilting on its axis. Not only does he have to come to terms with the fact that Strickler may be working for Bular, but also that Liz remembers him and his childhood as Lizzie. He was beyond overjoyed that Liz recovered her memories. Still, he felt on edge, thinking about how Liz perceived him now that she knew who he was before. Will things change between them now that they have known each other from childhood? Will their history drive them apart or bring them closer? He hopes it's the latter.

However, Jim may have hoped too soon when he tried approaching Liz the next day at school. To his dismay, she always seemed to disappear whenever he set eyes on her. That is until they finally have the same class together, which was none other than Strickler's. If Jim hadn't been so distracted by being in the same classroom with whom he suspects to be working with Bular, he would have assumed that Liz was perhaps avoiding him. Right?

Unbeknownst to Jim, he was not the only one thinking the same as a certain raven-haired girl with a dyed blue streak glanced between him and Liz with growing suspicion.

Liz Walker

Once the school bell rang, Liz gathered her things when she overheard Strickler speaking to Jim in the back of the classroom. "Young Atlas, could I have a brief word before you leave? Alone, please."

Worried about how Jim will react towards Strickler now that he is aware of his teacher's true identity, Liz lingers to listen in further until she feels a pull on her arm, dragging her from the classroom.

"Looks like someone is avoiding Jim," Claire comments as they exit the classroom together. Liz winces, hoping no one notices. "Is it that obvious?"

"I'd be lying if I said it wasn't," Claire replied, looking at her curiously. "Sooo, what's going on between you two?"

"Nothing is going on," Liz said, walking straight for the courtyard towards her locker as her friend followed close behind. Claire scoffed. "I don't believe that for a second. Come on, Liz, I know something's up."

As Liz was busily grabbing books from her locker, Claire glanced around before leaning forward to whisper. "Did he say something to you? Like fighting all those inner monsters?"

Turning rigid, Liz suddenly snapped her attention to Claire. "W-What? Inner monsters? What are you talking about?"

"I didn't get the chance to tell you this, but I received this letter from Jim a while back apologizing for not being attentive on rehearsals and claiming that he was battling monsters, saving the world in which we know. I find it a bit weird, but do you think he's in trouble?"

Pushing down the growing panic in her gut, Liz quickly explains.

"Oh, well– um, maybe it's metaphorical. Probably, he's just stressing out. He has a lot on his plate – studying, rehearsing, side hustling, helping his mom out. You know how it is." Liz merely shrugs, closing her locker as Claire ponders, unsatisfied with the answer. "Riiight. Well, that doesn't explain your strange behavior towards Jim."

Liz instantly recalled the subtle but tender feelings of affection and longing from some of Jim's recent memories of past and present self. Without Jim having to say a single word, she already knew how he felt toward her, which was one of the reasons why she was avoiding him. That, and the possibility that perhaps Jim now knows that she remembers everything from her childhood, including him—all because of the soul-binding oath. But, of course, she was not going to admit that aloud.

Before Liz could come up with a plausible excuse, Claire suddenly gasped. "Wait a minute. Are you – no way! Could this be? Do you have feelings for Jim?"