Chapter 2 | The New Student

Jim Lake Jr. POV

Rumors have been going around lately of a new student transferring to Arcadia Oaks High. Toby was making guesses left and right of who it could be while Jim just listened and laughed at his crazy ideas. They sat in their seats joking around with each other when Mr. Strickler cleared his throat to get all our attention. "Ahem. Good morning, class. We have a new student here today. She just transferred from New Jersey and will join us for the rest of the term. Miss Walker, you may come in."

The class turned their heads toward the door as a girl with long, wavy brown hair and turquoise eyes entered the doorway. Everything around Jim paused as he stared at the new student. He could not believe his eyes. It should be impossible, but he recognizes those eyes anywhere. The same ones as his childhood friend – Lizzie.

Is this a coincidence?

Others around him whispered to each other, their gazes fastened on the girl in the front.

"She's so pretty!"

"I want to be her friend!"

"I want to date her!"

"Ah, my heart!"

Standing in front of us all with a charming smile, she spoke. "Hello, everyone. My name is Elizabeth Walker. But you can call me Liz. I just moved here from Hoboken, New Jersey, and I look forward to getting to know you all."

No way. Elizabeth. Liz. Lizzie. That is too much of a coincidence!

A million thoughts cross his mind as he tries to rationalize everything. Then, that happened. As she turned her head, her ocean-green eyes met with his sky-blue ones, and Jim froze in his seat, unable to tear his gaze from hers. He felt everything around him go dark, leaving just him and her. Then Jim sees her as a little girl in his dreams, her light brown wavy hair floating in the passing breeze, her turquoise eyes glistening like the sea, and her bright smile shining like the dawn as she calls out his old childhood nickname. "Jimmy!"

Suddenly, he hears a loud whisper call to him. "Jim. Jimbo! Hey, snap out of it!"

Jim shook himself awake from his reveries and noticed his friend staring at him as others around him were busy typing on their laptops. Including the new girl, Lizzie – he meant Liz – who took a seat behind Toby.

"Were you daydreaming or something?"

"No. No, I'm not." Jim quickly denies it and looks over at his friend's laptop screen, wondering what he had missed. "What are you doing?"

"Research," Toby replies as he continues typing.

"Hey, look up 'talking amulet,'" Jim suggested. He felt eyes on him from the side, and he turned to look but saw Liz absorbed in her laptop. He can already feel his cheeks warming just by her presence close by.

Toby was way ahead of him, pointing at the result of his search. "I already did that. All I got was toys. One of them was a plushie."

Suddenly, Strickler's voice called to him. "Jim, would you agree?"

Snapping in attention, Jim looks up to his teacher. "Sir?"

"With Herodotus' opinion on tactics of war, as I've described." Strickler clarifies, pulling out his favorite pen. Sweat dropping, Jim tries to stall, looking at Toby, who turns away and whistles. "Oh, uh...Absolutely."

"Excellent. Which tactics, specifically?" Strickler questions. Feeling the pressure, Jim tries to think of an answer. "The, uh...winning ones?"

The class laughed at his response as the school bell rang, signaling the end of class. Getting up from his seat and putting his books in his bag, he glances at Liz, who is already heading out the door.