Chapter 16 | Romeo's Understudy

Liz Walker POV

The next day during recess, Liz walks into the gymnasium for practice, praying in mind that Jim will turn up this time. She sent a text to him early this morning to remind him about it, but she never got a reply back. Still, Liz hoped Jim received it and remembers. Taking a deep breath, she approaches Ms. Janeth.

"Morning, Ms. Janeth." Liz greeted with a charming smile. Turning around, Ms. Janeth spots her and smiles, picking up a clipboard with highlighted papers. "Morning to you too, my dear. Here are your lines."

Placing down her brown cross-bag, Liz reached out for the clipboard from Ms. Janeth and scanned over it. Just as Liz was about to mention Jim coming for practice, a loud slam of an open door echoes across the gym, startling her. Looking over her shoulder, Liz expected to see Jim at the entrance, only to find none other than Steve Palchuk. What on earth is he doing here? And where is Jim? He should be here by now.

"Steve Palchuk has arrived!" Steve proclaimed, his speech, slurring as he made his way towards them.

"Glad that you could make it, Mr. Palchuk." Ms. Janeth said as Liz's head snapped towards her. What is going on here? Is she missing something?

"Ms. Janeth, may I ask why Steve is here? I don't quite understand what's going on." Liz asked politely as Steve stopped beside her, giving her a mischievous tooth-less grin.

"Mr. Palchuk, here, will be serving as Mr. Lake's understudy. Given Mr. Lake's lack of commitment to attending recent rehearsals, it has made me take precautions, and thankfully, Mr. Palchuk generously offered to participate. I hope this doesn't trouble you, Miss Walker." The drama teacher said, looking down at Liz over the rim of her glasses as she passed a clipboard to the blonde boy.

"Not at all," Liz responded with a half-hearted smile. Ms. Janeth clapped her hands. "Excellent! Now then, both of you get on stage, and we shall begin when you're ready."

The two teenagers turned and made their way towards the stage. Liz thought about Jim, wondering what prevented him from showing up again. Is he okay? Did he grow back to standard size? Did he take care of the gnome like he was supposed to? If he did, he must be upset with himself, but at the same time, she hoped that he didn't end the poor gnome's life. Taking the life of another is inhumane, whether or not they deserved it. She would not wish it upon others the task of ending a life. It's a gruesome path that will scar their very being for life, and it is a path of no return.

Suddenly, the slurred voice of Steve Palchuk interrupted her dark thoughts, "Hey, I want to say I'm sorry."

Eyebrows raised in tandem, Liz looks up at Steve. From a classic school bully, she never expected an earnest apology. This should be interesting.

"For what exactly?" Liz asked, tilting her head slightly to the side with arms crossed over her clipboard against her chest.

"For getting caught up in that little tiff between Lake and me," Steve replied, making Liz's eyebrows raise up in surprise. Well, this is new. Maybe Steve isn't a complete jerk after all. Perhaps he's just a misguided person who is starting to realize his mistakes and trying to be a better person...Either that or the world is ending.

But contrary to her thoughts, Steve's continued where he left off. "And for scaring Jim off to the point of not showing up for practice."

Liz blinked. "Oh." On second thought, she takes it back. She spoke too soon.

To her distaste, Steve continues to speak, his gapped teeth slurring his words. "Yeah, I know I can be super intimidating if I want to be, so don't be too disappointed in Jim not showing up. Besides, he was never a right match for you anyway. But don't worry, babe, I'm here."