00 - PROLOGUE

Nibbling on a tuna sandwich like a lab rat, the youngest of Sebastians was scanning the newspaper early in the morning. It's been a year since Ava graduated high school.

Her friends were already busy with their higher studies. Although they somehow managed to quarrel over absolutely nothing from time to time. That's what kept her sane actually, while she stayed at home. But that didn't change the fact that she looked like a drug addicted loner right now.

''Morning sunshine!'' her Dad greeted ruffling her nest of a hair. He sat at the table joining her. "Good morning General!" Ava responded with a curt nod, handing him a few pages of the paper.

The old man smiled to himself while going through the articles. Mr. Sebastian is now a retired General trying his best to get used to the normal routine the civilians follow.

He definitely missed his job but when his lil' girl still called him General, he felt pride in it. He loves it and Ava knows that too.

"Looking for another part time hun?" her Mom asked, placing some pancakes on her Dad's plate.

She hummed like a toothless grandma, sighing heavily still busy looking through the print.

"You sound older than us sweetheart. Take a break once in a while." her mother said hugging her tiny body, sitting beside her Dad.

She knew her youngest kid was always working herself up, deep within believing that she's just an average human. While her Mom was way more grateful for having this young lady as her daughter.

"Finish your meal bear! I've seen you munching on that poor sandwich before I went for a shower." her oldest brother commented in concern, kissing the side of her head.

Damian is the first son of the Sebastians and is an NBA player working for the Golden State Warriors. He's the tallest in the family and a muscle mania but also a cinnamon roll for his baby sister. He's engaged to his high school girlfriend. They were childhood sweethearts.

"Morning people!" the twins of the family greeted, startling them. Each sat on either side of their lil' sister. That's their spot.

They were older than Ava yet the loudest and the trouble makers of the clan. They make sure everyone laughs at their pranks every now and then.

Besides their mischievous nature, they are quite smart. Ethan owns a car showroom and designs his own cars. While Joe, on the other hand is a pro gamer and launched a few games of his own which were a sensation among the youngsters.

"Is it out yet?" Joe asked taking a bite from Ava's half eaten tuna sandwich. She turned to her brother keeping the newspaper down with a thud.

She wiped the cheese of her brother's face who was now a bit scared of her pissed state. "I'm ignoring it." She muttered taking in all of her left over sandwich at once.

"Was it today? Oh yes, the list of selected students getting into the University of California is supposed to be out this week!" Ethan said patting his thighs, eyes widening in excitement like a kindergartner.

Ava turned to her other brother glaring daggers at him now, "Don't you dare hype me up about it. I'm already regretting applying for it even though I know how hard it is to get in. Your excitement is contagious." She said shifting her chair a bit away from him.

"Listen to me you cheeky punk" Ethan pulled her chair back closer to him. "We all know you just didn't sit your ass at home like a hormonal teenager this past year. You studied everyday, putting up all nighters while working many part times so that you could save up money for your med school. You didn't have to when your brothers are always there you but you hustled anyway and we're so proud of you for that. You should be gauging your eyes out staring at the laptop right now."

Ethan earned himself a smack on the back of his head from their Dad at the last part. "He's right honey. You should check it once. You've worked hard enough dear." Her Mom encouraged her while side eyeing the father and son duo bantering.

Ava smiled weakly, her confidence still ten feet under their house. While she was thinking about it, her big brother was already holding her laptop smiling cheekily at his baby sister.

"Why do you guys hate me so much?" a distressed Ava mumbled to herself, at the verge of having a panic attack. She hesitantly opened up the university portal and widening her eyes.

The results are already out.

"Alright I've enough adventure for today! I need to go feed the cat." Ava said in a breath literally bouncing up from her chair.

Before she could escape, Joe grabbed her hoodie and made her sit back. "We don't have a cat you brat. Now sit you're ass down. I'll check it for you."

The girl hid her face with her oversized sweatshirt, which was probably Damian's, not at all prepared for the disappointment.

There was silence for a whole damn minute. Ava was literally dying in anticipation. Her face was all red.

"Just blurt it out already!" She grabbed Joe's jacket, shaking him like he was condemned for being a serial killer.

She couldn't bear to look at the screen but stared at a pair of brown orbs instead. Joe pulled his baby sister in a bone crushing hug before yelling, "You did it girl! You got in!" 

The Sebastians were in an uproar at the moment.

"I knew it. She's my girl after all!" Her Dad boosted, one arm around his wife.

"Oh my God! Sweetheart you made it. I'm so happy for you" Her mom beamed.

"I'm so proud of you baby girl. Come here!" Damian squealed, engulfing the girl in a bear hug.

"This lil' shit was worried about nothing." Ethan said joining the hug.

"Hey! I was the one to spill the good news. Let me in!" Joe said before jumping up and down with his siblings.

The older couple looked at their kids fondly, being happy in each other's embraces.

Amidst the chaos, Ava thought 'Did I really made it into The University of California?'

Looking at her brothers dancing around her in pure bliss, made her believe in it.

'I'm not good enough' is the second most told lie to oneself by the younger generation. 'I'll be there in five minutes' will always be the first.