14 - STITCHED BACK

Ever since Ava's just good friend Asher said those words, she was in a staff meeting with her left over brain cells and feelings. But couldn't come to any conclusion.

It's been a month since the wedding. That's the amount of time the girl has been acting weird around Asher. Not that she was normal in the first place. But it's visible to the people now.

She laughs like a maniac with breathing problems, whenever the poor boy brings it up in a conversation. She pushes him off playfully, him rolling on the floor next moment due to the light hit, when he tries to hug her.

Saying Ava was avoiding Asher and their pending conversation would the understatement of the century. Let's not go down that path, shall we?

One would think she was clearly not interested in him. Or worse. F.R.I.E.N.D.Z.O.N.I.N.G. him.

But that wasn't the case.

It was her insecurities and lack of self love. Ava was still under the impression, she isn't good enough. She still believed that the people she's surrounded by, her family, her best friends praised her because they love her unconditionally.

They would never want Ava to sulk and thus overlook her every mistake and shortcomings. That's what she thought her beloved ones think of her.

So she's even denying the fact that Asher might be interested in her more than just good friends. But maybe he doesn't. Perhaps she'll never know because she wasn't ready for the talk yet.

The last month has been awkward for the pair. One desperately trying to discuss the 'controversial' thing and the other just as desperately trying to escape it.

So in the end, the guy had to give up feeling defeated. For now. That sneaky bastard will make his move when the time's right. Asher wasn't the coward in the middle school anymore.

They were back to normal again. The just good friends were taking an evening stroll in the campus itself. Every thing was running smoothly until two guys stopped by their side, in a freaking sports car.

They stopped in their tracks, turning to the new flashy arrival. "What the hell are you doing here!?" The pair of students asked, but definitely in different tones.

The girl was elated at the boys, sitting leisurely in their expensive ride. The lads showed the same Cheshire smile to the young woman.

But when they turned to the guy with her, they just glared at him. Asher was looking between his friend and the boys in shock.

"GUYS! Oh my God I can't believe my eyes. You really came to see me? I missed you so much." Ava said partly excited, partly emotional.

The boys stepped out of the car, and embraced the girl. They were in group hug now. Leaving behind a fuming Asher.

"Get your hands off her. You're making her uncomfortable." Asher said in monotonous tone.

The boys went back to their blank expression for the guy who apparently interrupted their reunion.

"We took care of her shit since sixth grade. And I don't remember anyone asking their consent before hugging my best bud." the guy on the right spat.

Sending the tension between the males around, Ava felt the need to step in.

"Asher, It's nothing like that. They're my best friends since middle school. You guys knew each other, don't you remember? This is Ryan Smith" the girl said ruffling the guy's hair on her right.

"And this is Jonathan  Wood." She introduced the guy on her left, her head on his shoulder.

"Yeah. I'm aware who they are." There was hint of softness, hidden by Asher's jealousy.

"Unfortunately, we remember you too. You're the guy who left us, without a word." This time it was Jonathan.

Almost entire girls' dorm was watching the enchanting boys waving at Ava. Not one or two but three 'drool worthy' men were dropping off one girl.

As the girl disappeared from their sight, Ryan spoke, "Get in." It was obvious that he meant Asher since they didn't leave after getting in.

They were driving in silence. Maybe thinking about where to start, after all they were friends.

"What happened back then?" Ryan once again broke the ice. Asher know it was gonna come now or later. With a deep sigh he narrated what happened six years ago, how he couldn't share his pain, how just one fine day he left.

The car stopped with a sudden halt. The boys were all looking at different direction, hidding their tears.

After a while, Jonathan swallowed a lump and began, "You could've just told us dumbass. Who in the hell does that to their best friends? What were we to you? Ever thought how we felt when you left without a word? We were outcasts but that didn't bother me as much as you leaving us did."

"We already know what happened. Ava told us. We were blaming you all these years without thinking what you may have gone through all alone. After you left, we saw Ava was missing you too, like us.

But she made you smile before you decided to go, so she was happy knowing you'll be fine. She wasn't close with others either, except you maybe. So we both decided to stop hurting ourselves over a boy, and maybe talk to her." Ryan said the other half of their story.

"That was the day we officially adopted Ava." Jonathan chuckled. Soon the other two joined in the chuckle turned laughter.

"Ss... oory. I'm so sorry, I should've stayed. Running away didn't help back then." Asher said stuttering a bit, ashamed at his actions.

There was silence. An silence that accepted his heartfelt apology.

"And thanks for taking care of her. She's someone I've learnt to cherish after all this time." Asher said, looking down.

"So whom do we have here? Our old pal or a lover boy?" Jonathan joked, lightening up the situation.

The boys laughed again.

"Your dumbass brother who doesn't wanna walk away from the people he can't afford to lose anymore." Asher said sincerely.

All the boys had the same awkward smile they had when were together once upon a time. Awkward yet genuine, warming up their hearts.

Hiding from something in order to forget about the pain, doesn't give you comfort. It only shows how long you can survive without love.