EPILOGUE : REMEMBER ME

13 years later

"Oh my God, your hair looks so good. You're glowing girl." A woman in her mid thirties commented to another woman flaunting her new perm.

"You too Samantha. Seems like Adam's gifted you stunning sun dress." The latter complimented back with obviously fake tone.

These women were not the only ones to gloat about their expensive accessories. Everyone at the table were chatting with each other, only to show off how much they earned.

It was a reunion luncheon after all. The only chance to know or rather sneak into their once bffs' lives.

"I don't see her yet. Where's Sebastian?" One the men asked.

"I heard she works in one of the best hospitals of the state. She's quite famous." Another man piped in.

"I highly doubt that. You guys may have forgotten but she was an outcast. With her social skills I can only imagine her in a pharmacy."

"Oh and her bodyguards aren't here too."

"Ah yes! I contacted everyone from our class. Where are they?" Apparently the organizer of this event wondered.

He was about to call someone when everybody heard a loud thump, soon followed by broken parking alert sounds. Everyone rushed to the commotion outside.

The sight could make someone lose their sleep for weeks. A car was upside down, windshield shattered, smoke coming out of the engine. Blood spilled everywhere.

Apparently it was hit by a drunk truck driver, which was on the other side of the street. The people witnessing the situation panicked but didn't dare to move an inch.

Then the crowd noticed a child was crying, inside the car. The group from the reunion checked for the kid and then realized who was driving the car.

"Iss-nn't tth-at Jona-than Wwood?" The planner of the luncheon exclaimed in horror. The group widened their eyes in shock.

"Somebody call the damn ambulance!" A woman in formals said in composed yet threatening manner. The crowd turned their heads towards her.

"Sebastian?" Someone remarked.

The woman didn't bother to answer the person and looked inside the car. A man came running towards her.

"Ryan, we don't have time. Help me open the back door. The kid's conscious." Ava said to the man, too surprised to think rationally. He just followed her commands.

The girl was in Ryan's arms now, bawling her eyes out. "Dd-aad! Dd-aad wake up please." The lil' girl kept crying for her father.

"Jonathan can you hear me?" Ava asked, once he was cautiously taken out of the car. The man blinked at her query. She used her pen torch to check his pupils.

"Everything's gonna be fine. Okay? Just keep your eyes open. Don't move, it may be dangerous. I'm suspecting a cervical fracture, with a few damaged nerves which is why you aren't able to feel your hands." Ava explained slowly, holding his hands into hers.

The ambulance arrived and hurriedly carried the injured man inside, Ava following him. "Take my car and follow us. Inform Mr. and Mrs. Wood on the way, will ya?" She said to Ryan and the man nodded quickly.

The other alumni followed the ambulance too, worried for their former classmate.

The waiting room was filled with anxious friends and family. Jonathan's girl cried to sleep, still in Ryan's arms. His parents were worried sick for their kid.

" It's already hard for my precious granddaughter to live without her mother, God please don't take away her Dad. That will be too much to bear for my girl." Jonathan's mother wailed onto her husband's chest.

The grown up adults were sympathizing the kid, with almost no hopes. The next moment, the door to the operation theatre opens, revealing a group of doctors in scrubs lead by Ava. All eyes on her.

She went to Jonathan's mom and took her hands.

"Why are you crying Mrs. Wood. Your son is out of danger now. The surgery went well. He will have to go for rehabilitation for some time to regain his strength and that's all. He will be back to his own self in no time." Ava said softly.

Mrs. Wood hugged her tightly after her news, which she gently returned. Mr. Wood swept his tears away and patted Ava's back, thanking her several times.

"I picked some of my best residents for this surgery. They'll take care of him until he gets back up. He's in safe hands." She said, glancing shortly at her team, and politely excused herself.

Their former classmates were in awe, admiring the new version Ava Sebastian in front of them. They never thought an introvert like her would make it this far.

"What's the big deal here, any other doctor could have done that." One of the women, whispered to her group.

"When Mr. Jonathan was brought here, he had partially damaged spine which could've made him unable to walk for the rest of his life." The senior resident explained. Mrs. Wood gasp at that.

"It was a very critical surgery. Although the residents are supposed to prepare the patient for the surgery, Professor Sebastian did everything on her own, from shaving his head to suturing Mr. Jonathan's head back. He's very lucky to have such a friend." He finished with the details of the surgery.

Mrs. Woods smiled at his words. "Indeed we're fortunate." She wiped her tears, happy at her son's recovery.

"I always wanted her to marry my son, before I met the lovely mother of my grandkid. But now with her gone, he's lonely again. With her being so skilled, she couldn't have possibly marry someone by any chance?" She enquired the resident, him getting a hint where this was going.

"Of course, who would want a nerd like her. People like her have no social lives folks." One of the nosy women commented again.

He smiled at the concerned mother.

"That's the thing about doctors Mrs. Wood. We prefer someone from our own fraternity. Athough she's one of the best Professors in the neurosurgery department, she's also a ... "

"Mama!" a five year old boy called for his mother softly.

Everyone turned to the kid's direction. The boy was holding a man's hand, who was carrying a sleepy boy in his other arm.

"Ava Sebastian-Evans is a  loving wife and an amazing mother of the adorable twins. Her husband, Professor Asher W. Evans is also a respected pediatric surgeon." The resident pointed towards the happy family.

Ava picked up her son and kissed his head lovingly. "I'm so sorry, Mama made you wait for a long time." She said to her other son, who woke up to her voice.

"It's okay Mom. Dad said your best friend got hurt. We know you work very hard. We love you so much Mom." The boy said, half woken rubbing his eyes.

She smiled proudly at her kids. "How's Jonathan?" Asher asked his wife, after a peck on her cheeks.

"We made it on time. He will be fine in a few weeks. Did you feed them?" She asked in concern about their kids.

"I tried to but they wanted to wait for you. I have no doubts they're gonna be a mama's boy and won't even bother about me." Asher said, sulking playfully.

Ava chuckled, walking to her office for their dinner. "Jesus help me raise my 3 boys." She said shaking her head, when Asher sneakily stole a few kisses from his wife on the way.

They have been married for six years now blessed with the twins and a whole bunch of Sebastians waiting for them at home. Time changed, relations grew stronger, people came closer and the family became bigger.

If being yourself, makes you the freak. Then do your best, achieve your dreams and let the people regret ever not seeing the bigger picture like you did.