10 - UNSPOKEN RELATIONS

"Ash! Come here, I wanna show you something." A boy in his late teens called out. He smiled at the thing he was about to reveal.

A younger boy came out the door, running towards the older boy. "Winston. I have a really important test tomorrow and I need to.... " He stopped taking in the scene in front of him.

The older boy smiled at the little guy's extremely shocked reaction "Winston you shouldn't be stealing at your age! Oh Jesus, help my brother become a better man." That's what the kid said, making the older one smack him.

"Calm down you rat's ass. I didn't steal this." Winston said patting the leather bound seat proudly. "I borrowed it from my classmate. He lost a bet to me. So this, Norton Commando is mine for the next week. "

"Someday, I'll buy it with my hard work.... " He paused, "And you, my dorky brother" the older one said, resting his big hands on the younger's shoulders "should take a rest. You're gonna ace anyway."

With that the Evans brothers, put their gear on and off they went for a long ride. Their parents being business persons, they had only each other to rely on.

Money wasn't an issue for them, love was. Their house was just a place they lived in, void of many sweet memories the family should have. With time the brothers became each other's home.

Speeding up the engine, the gusty wind touched their faces harshly. It was a nice feeling. Asher hugged his brother a bit tighter for his warmth, smiling to himself.

"You could've asked your girlfriend to tag along. She would've been thrilled." Asher asked innocently.

"Oh I will but I wanted you to be the first one I drive around. You know you're my first priority shithead." Winston said, managing to ruffle his head.

"I'm gonna miss after you join your stupid med school."  The younger lad said, resting his head on his brother's back, now looking at the passing trees.

"Oi, don't be like that. What do you wanna become when you grow up? Knowing you, you must have started thinking about it by now." Winston chuckled, lightening up the little one's mood.

"I wanna be like you." that's the last thing Asher said before everything went upside down. Winston didn't see the pick up truck through the fog, neither did it make any noise to indicate it's about to take a turn.

But someone had to pay the price. A big one.

Their parents had to rush back from their business trip. They never thought, taking their kids' well being for granted will lead them to be devasted. They never got to say a proper farewell to their first kid.

And their youngest son was beyond the sensation of grief. The funeral went by slowly, people came and passed by the family, paying their respects for the young soul. But not a single tear left Asher's dull eye.

After an excruciatingly painful week, he went back to school. Not many of his classmates knew about the funeral because he didn't have many friends.

The thirteen year old boy didn't want to talk about it to his friends. Or rather, didn't know how. Not knowing how to express the agony he was in, he ended up near the empty swimming pool.

"I don't know why you're talking like that but you should know...there are people out there who cares for you deeply, wishes to be you everyday while some waiting for you at home. If you think doing this will make you feel better than you should think about those people first." Those words from the girl, an outcast like himself, made him feel better than any adult could.

His parents decided to move away, far from the place which only brought pain.

Ava held the grown up Asher in her arms, cradling him while he sniffled. He always blamed himself for that tragedy.

'If I had only denied him that day... If only he had kept studying a bit more, if only...' His mind was occupied with so many 'ifs', it made him more distant to his own feelings. He couldn't even cry at his funeral.

Ava's words six years ago were simple but yet somehow managed to calm his wrecked mind. But now when he saw that face, which said those serene words he couldn't hold it anymore.

Today marked the sixth death anniversary of his beloved brother, Winston Evans.

"You're okay now." Ava broke the peaceful silence, patting his back gently. "You must be in so much pain, thinking it was all because of you. But it wasn't. And you know it. Winston, your brother knows it. And he will be so happy to see you in the med school. You stayed true to the last words your brother heard from you. You're living his dream. I'm sure he must've been so proud of you." She said staring into his eyes, cupping his cheeks.

"How do know exactly what to say in situations like this?" Asher asked with a faint smile. He took her hands in his own, sharing her warmth.

Ava smiled back, then realized their face were alarmingly close. A slight blush crept up to her cheeks, now averting her eyes.

Asher noticed that and was about to ask if something was wrong, oblivious of the situation. When he tried to sit up straight, his cramped leg betrayed him and he landed over Ava, her hands on his chest, holding him a bit away from her face.

The boy had one of his hand behind Ava's head to protect her from the impact on the ground. While the other around her waist, trying to help her balance before the fall.

Both of them were in a trance, lost in each other's moonlit orbs. Ava shyly looked down at their bodies. No one dared to move. Slowly, Asher began leaning in.

The girl stuck between the boy and the ground, was now nervous and excited. Whatever maybe the feeling, it didn't last long though when her phone buzzed.

The intimate moment vaporized into thin air, making them release each other like a pair of springs. Ava checked her phone to avoid any awkwardness.

"Who is it?" Asher asked, looking everywhere but her eyes. "It's my brother, Joe. He'll pick me up tomorrow and..." She said, reading the text.

"And?" The boy asked in anticipation, his eyebrows raised at this point.

"He says Damian wants you to be in the wedding and..." She paused.

"Oh I'm kinda honoured...and?" He asked again,now worried at her expression.

"My family wants to meet you." The girl said, not believing it herself.

"You're family wants WHAT!?" the asked flabbergasted not expecting that, after he tried to make a move on their daughter.

Don't look for peace and bliss in far away places. If your mind and heart are on the same page, you already have it.