Chapter 11 - Sacrifice

"She's doing WHAT?" was Hunter's reply when Crosshair informed him of Callista's plan of escape.

"I believe Crosshair said that Callista was going to steal a ship-"

"I heard him Tech!" Hunter snapped while pinching the bridge of his nose, "Is she out of her mind?" Tech once again didn't catch on that the question Hunter asked was a rhetorical one and did his signature raising of his pointer finger as he spoke once more.

"Seeing as she plans on taking on a base full of droids by herself, the obvious answer is yes. The odds of her succeeding is -"

"I don't need to know the odds, Tech. Just get the Havoc Marauder up and running, we leave in ten minutes."

"I'm assuming we're not informing the General of our departure?" Crosshair asked even though the answer was obvious. It seems Tech finally caught on that everyone was apparently asking rhetorical questions because he didn't rush to answer, instead making his way into the cockpit to fire up the engines.

Wrecker looked worried, Callista having grown on him and the thought of her dying at the hands of the Separatists made his heart burn with anger and he vowed to crush every droid that got in their way.

Crosshair - well it was hard to know what he was feeling. But he trusts his Sargeant and will follow whatever orders are given him. As long as he beat Wrecker in the amount of droids they destroy, he'll go along with the plan.

Hunter sighed heavily, wondering if they would make it in time before Callista got herself and the Senator killed.

○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

Callista was having a bit of déjà vu as she trekked through the forest, having done the same just a week ago.

It was getting to be night time and the temperature was dropping fast. Callista wondered if they should find a place to rest while they waited for the Batch to arrive, even though she'd rather escape on her own instead. Waiting around like some damsel in distress needing to be rescued didn't sit well with her.

The Senator could sense Callista's sour mood and wondered why. Surely she'd be happy that Clone Force 99 were coming to get them, after all they were friends right?
After another thirty minutes of walking, Callista spotted a cave at the base of a hill and suggested they camp out there. It must have been less than 30 degrees by that time. Callista had heard that some planets could have extreme weather patterns where it would be hot during the day but below freezing at night.

Since they didn't have a portable heater on hand, Callista opted to build a fire. She recalled her conversation with Hunter and how he explained his and his brother's enhancements. It was something that occupied her mind during the short moments she could semi-relax and process recent events. As Callista thought more about it, she started to suspect if she was an enhanced clone like them.

From the same conversation where Nala Se had defended Callista after failing a battle simulation, she knew that Jango Fett never intended to raise her as his daughter.

Callista remembered how she felt like she'd been kicked in the gut upon hearing this. It actually happened just before Jango went on his final mission that Callista didn't know what it consisted of. All she knew was that the Jedi Knight had followed him to their home planet and thus started a chain of events that left Callista fatherless and eventually brotherless as well when she and Boba parted ways. He was determined to avenge their father while Callista just wanted to forget everything and start a new life. She was going to travel the galaxy and go to every planet possible. Callista internally smiled at that, only it wasn't a happy smile but one of sorrow. She'd been so naive then, ten year old Callista was so full of life and purpose but now? Sometimes Callista couldn't even leave whatever ally or abandoned building she'd be hiding in. It was like there was a cloud hanging above her and just getting up was difficult.