Chapter 30 - Another Crash Landing

After Crosshair got shot, everything blurred together for Scar. Words couldn't describe what she felt. She remembered him crying out in pain and watching with horror as he collapsed to the floor. After shouting his name, Scar rushed to his fallen form as blaster fire erupted from the group of droids that had managed to sneak up while they were arguing.

Upon assessing the damage, Scar was relieved to find that the blaster bolt hadn't hit his heart, but it was very close. While the armor protected him some, there was enough damage to where he'd need medical attention, and fast.

But getting to the ship wouldn't be easy now. More and more droids kept appearing, no matter how many Jace and Scar took out, more just kept coming.

They were forced to retreat, thankfully Scar with her enhanced strength was able to help Crosshair walk while Jace covered their backs, deflecting all the blaster shots. The bad thing though, was that the way they retreated was in the opposite direction of the Havoc Marauder.

Tech, upon learning what had happened, suggested they head for the escape pods as they were headed in that direction.

So that's what they did.

Scar refused to leave Crosshair so that left Jace to pilot the escape pod, though she did tell him to power down the pod once they ejected from the Malevolence II so as not to show up on their scanners. Disregarding the fact that he should be the one giving orders, Jace listened and began shutting the power down.

Scar was trying to maintain her composure while she tended to Crosshair, though her hands were trembling as she tried to undo the clasps to his chest plate in order to see what damage had been done.

Once the power was out Jace immediately ignited one of his lightsabers and crouched down next to Scar who finally got the chestplate off and her stomach churned when she got a better look at the blaster wounds. There were three of them and a lot of blood. Enough to have made Crosshair pass out on their journey to the escape pod.

Immediately she opened Crosshair's backpack and pulled out the small medkit, dumping all its contents on the floor. Jace reached for one of the bacta patches, wanting to help, only for Scar to slap his hand away.

"I can take care of him myself." She stated, and Jace could sense her guilt and was going to say something in an attempt to comfort her when he suddenly felt a disturbance in the force so strong that it took his breath away. It felt like his heart had been stabbed and at first he didn't understand why.

Then it hit him like a ton of bricks. The connection through the force with his Master had been severed, and he could no longer feel his presence. It had been faint due to the distance, but now it was gone and that could only mean one thing.

His Master was dead.

Scar noticed from her peripherals that Jace had tensed up and wondered why his mood had changed all of a sudden. But she never got the chance to ask when the pod lit up and both heads turned to the viewport where they had a clear view of the Malevolence II exploding.

"What the-" Scar wasn't able to finish her sentence because the escape pod suddenly lurched from the blastwave of the explosion.

The last thing Scar remembered was hitting her head on something before everything went dark.

○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●

Scar came to and her first coherent thought is that her entire body hurt. Groaning, she shifted and the groan turned into a hiss as her upper body pain tripled. Somehow in her groggy state she reasoned that her ribs might be broken, which then brought the question as to why they were in the first place.