Chapter 46 - Fights, Speculations, and Tooka Cats

Ok, this is a reaaallllly long chapter! It was originally called "The Beginning of Jacar" but I'm pushing that one back in order to add in different stuff before the events of that chapter. There are a few new scenes that I hope you will want to read as I'm sure they will make you laugh!! :D

○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

Calli woke up in the med bay about mid-morning the following day, her middle now wrapped in bandages. She was no longer wearing a dress, being discarded on a chair and was now only wearing the bandeau and leggings that she'd been wearing underneath it.

One thing Calli was immediately aware of - besides the pain - was the I.V. attached to her arm and she felt the urge to rip it out. Somehow despite the fogginess she was experiencing Calli was able to reason that the I.V. was necessary, but then as she gradually became more awake it bothered her more and more until she couldn't stand having the tube inside her anymore and took it out. Tech would probably chastise her for it but since she was awake Calli figured she was fine and didn't need the IV anymore. There was a slight sting when the tube was removed, and she had to fight back the sudden wave of nausea from it - she was still very much against needles and such.

Once that was done, Calli lifted her upper body into a sitting position and immediately her wound protested but she was anxious to get up and therefore ignored the pain, swinging her legs over the edge of the bed and shakily getting on her feet. Just that simple movement made her entire world spin and Calli closed her eyes while taking a couple deep breaths, willing the nausea to go away. She must have lost more blood than she originally thought.

After roughly 20 seconds Calli felt ready to get up, and she walked to the closed door while clutching her side, and with her free hand pressed a button on the control panel to make the door open. Stepping into the hallway, Calli debated turning left to head into the lounge or go right and sneak around to head for her shared room with Crosshair and Hunter. She was thirsty, so chose to go to the lounge, also so the others would know she was awake as they were probably worried. Calli only remembered being carried by Crosshair, and then passing out.

Entering the lounge, all eyes were instantly on Calli, and Hunter was the first to react, getting up from his spot at the couch and hurrying to her side.

"What are you doing up?" He questioned, and he wrapped an arm around her shoulders and led her over where he'd been sitting and forced her to take his place and Calli was secretly glad to be sitting down because just the short walk from the medbay did a number and her entire body was coated in sweat. Hunter could tell she'd overexerted herself and voiced his disapproval, "You need to rest after what happened." Calli waved a dismissive hand at the Sergeant.

"I've been shot before, and this isn't any different." She retorted, but her argument wasn't that strong as another wave of dizziness and nausea took over her and she closed her eyes while leaning her head back on the back of the lounge. She then heard someone scoff and opened her eyes to look at Crosshair with a raised eyebrow.

"Bull, you can barely walk and look like hell." Crosshair said dryly, using sarcasm to mask his concern for his little sister. Calli simply rolled her eyes in response. Wrecker however didn't hide his worry and asked how Calli was feeling.

"Save for the gaping hole in my side, I'm fantastic." She replied in a sarcastic tone, but not with the intention of being mean. Wrecker knew this and didn't mind her snippy reply, as she had every right to be annoyed and frustrated. Tech repeated Wrecker's question, but more specifically about the amount of pain she was in and the symptoms she was experiencing. Calli gave a less jeering comment, then remembered how strange the gunshot wound felt and asked Tech about it, knowing he'd figured it out. His response was what Calli suspected all along.