Chapter 40 - Bittersweet Reunion

Ok, I know I said this would be a long chapter, but I decided to split this into two parts cause I feel bad it taking so long to write. So, I'll give you what I have so far just to get the pressure off of myself. I hope you guys enjoy this chapter!

○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

Things were tense for the Bad Batch the next couple of days. Hunter and Calli were barely speaking to one another, well the latter weren't really talking to anyone. It's a good thing the squad hasn't had a mission come up, because with the way things are there was a good chance they'd fail.

Wrecker was at a loss for what to do, not liking all the tension and just wanting his brother and sister to make up so they could go about their usual business.

Crosshair just kept his distance, not wanting to be involved in the drama in any way, though he technically was, and the Sergeant was still a bit peeved with the team's sniper for keeping secrets.

Tech barely noticed the awkward atmosphere, as he was preoccupied with familiarizing himself with the new ship. He'd already compiled a list of improvements to make - the ship was designed to allow modifications without compromising existing systems, much to Tech's delight.

He'd also been corresponding with Jace, who'd been digging around to see what he could find out about Boba. The last Tech heard was that he was being held at the Republic Judiciary Central Detention Center on Coruscant (which the Bad Batch was still there, fortunately) and Jace was going to see if a meeting could be arranged for Calli and her brother to see each other. Tech couldn't believe their luck at finding Boba Fett so easily, yet he hasn't said anything to Calli yet, wanting to wait until an official meeting had been set up before giving her the news. He didn't want to get her hopes up only for it not to happen. Though truth be told, he wasn't exactly sure whether or not Calli would even want to see him.

Tech was pondering all this while tinkering with the hyperdrive when his datapad signaled that he'd gotten a new message. After setting down the tool he was using, he picked up the device and opened the new message. Upon reading it Tech's expression became one of satisfaction and he swiftly left the Engine Room in search of Calli.

He entered the main hold where his other squad mates were. Wrecker was weightlifting a gonk droid that had come with the ship and Hunter sat at the lounge table and was sharpening a vibro blade. Crosshair was occupying one of the other seats in the room, arms crossed, legs stretched out and his head was tilted back with his eyes being closed and they remained so even after Tech made it known he was there and asked where Callista was.

"She's out cleaning the carbon scoring off the outside of the ship." Was Hunter's terse reply, and despite still being on edge and ready to snap at any moment Tech couldn't help but voice his surprise at this and ask if they were back to talking to each other. Hunter shook his head though and said, "She began doing it early this morning without me ordering her to."

"An expression of her guilt no doubt." Tech stated, a hint of a smile on his lips at the thought that Calli felt so guilty she was doing her usual punishment without Hunter having to tell her to do it. A few months ago, the young teen would never have done such a thing - this shows how much Calli's grown as a person and Tech was very proud of her. Of course, she still made mistakes, but she was willing to own up to them and that said a lot.

Tech commed Calli and asked her to come in so he could talk to her, and she agreed, thankful to have a break. She walked in, a vision in black from the burned residue she'd been scrubbing off for the last four hours, covered head to toe in the substance. Whoever owned this ship previously didn't take the time to regularly clean the outside, so there was a lot that Calli had to do and even after four hours she wasn't even halfway done.