•Chapter 19•

"They called a ceasefire." Greyson and I both turned our heads to the door, seeing Laura standing in the doorway. Her eyes flickered to me only for a second, staring me down.

"Care to elaborate?" Greyson questioned, sitting up straighter on the bed. I looked at his upper body, making sure any bruises he still might've had were minor enough.

"The rogues. The battle was in three days but instead they sent a representative today who basically said they surrender." Laura spoke, her blue eyes not filled with that much excitement despite the good news. Her face was hard. Greyson turned to me, his face on the other hand told me he liked what was happening. Or more as in expected it.

"Interesting, huh?" He said.

I gave him a slight shrug.

"There is one thing though." Laura spoke, this time she didn't hide her glare towards me.

"The council called for a meeting."

Now that... that doesn't sound very promising.

I turned to look at Greyson, who's eyebrows very slightly furrowed. It's usually never a good thing when council calls for meetings.

"Concerning what?"

"I got no info on that. Just that you will be holding this meeting tomorrow morning." She spoke.

"Ok. Thanks, Laura. You should go now."

"Whatever you say.. Alpha." She looked me up and down one last time before leaving the room, shutting the door behind her.

"Why do the council want to meet you? What did you do?" I asked Greyson. His eyes glanced at my lips momentarily.

"I'm part of the council, Amara."

Oh, I forgot. He continued. "They call for meeting whenever something important needs to be discussed."

I nodded. "Do you do this often?"

"Rarely. Which is why I'm a bit concerned. It's usually never good news."

I didn't know what to say. I had a bad feeling about this regardless of what type of news.

"Stop worrying." He said. I turned to him. "No one's coming near you."

"It's been decades since I came out of hiding. I can't help worrying right now." I softly said, looking down at my hands. Even if this meeting didn't regard me in any way, sooner or later one will. It's bound to happen.

He placed his hand on mine, and surprised me by lifting my hand and pulling it to his lips, placing a gentle kiss on the skin.

Wow.

The butterflies.

"We already found each other." He spoke, his eyes holding mine as he edged closer to where I was sitting on the edge of the bed. "And I chose you. So I need you to realize that you're not alone anymore, Amara."

I wasn't alone anymore. I had a mate. Greyson was my mate. And he wasn't planning to reject me no more.

I placed my other hand over his, taking his enormous hand between mine.

"Thank you." I spoke, not sure how to put those coming words correctly. "For not.. for not putting me last."

His face fell, and he shook his head. "I never.. I didn't mean to-"

"I know." I cut him off, feeling his strong hand in my grip gave me enough peace to last me an entire year. "I understand. I admired your strength. You're a wonderful king. Your people are truly lucky."