•Chapter 5•

I haven't heard from the Alpha King in 6 days.

Today being the 7th.

I turned around and folded one of my shirts. A gush of air hit my back. I spoke.

"And I thought I'll never see you again."

It was quiet. I turned to the Alpha King to see him standing in my doorway leaning against the wall, his arms crossed over his chest as he looked at what I was doing.

"You were leaving?" He asked, his voice void of any emotion.

I glanced at my duffle bag.

"It took you long enough to show up."

He eyed me closely. Confused.

"How can you just leave? We're .. you know.. mates."

I smiled at him from behind my shoulder as I zipped my back.

"Finally you decided to admit it, huh."

I sensed him walking closer to me as I folded more clothes.

"I'm someone of many responsibilities, Cassandra. I couldn't let my emotions get in the way of protecting my people." He answered, making me pause in my movement and clench my jaw.

"I'm not a threat!" I snapped at him. I felt his hands gently being placed on my shoulders, making my skin feel warm under his touch.

"Then why do you act this way? Why do you want to stay hidden?" He asked, softly this time. I turned around.

"So I guess the deal is off?" I told him, making him shake his head.

"This isn't about no deal, Cassandra. I deserve to know what my mate is. Who she really is. All I can smell on you is werewolf but I know you're much more than that. I can't seem to guess what it could be and it's driving me mad. " When I kept quiet, he sighed and added.

"At least tell me your real name."

I looked up at him and contemplated. I couldn't tell him my real name. Everyone knows who my real name belongs to. It was the only right thing the supernaturals knew about the tribrid.

"Would you choose your mate over your kind's safety, Alpha?"

He seemed be taken back my question. His eyes looked into mine deeply for a minute, before he finally answered.

"No."

I tried to ignore the tug in my heart. He was an Alpha King. And I should be proud that the werewolves' leader will put his people before his mate.

Even if that was me.

"Then you should reject me."

I heard his heart thumping faster. His thoughts became more vivid and louder, but I refrained from listening to them. I respected that type of privacy.

Plus, he was powerful. He might sense me inside his head.

"Why? You just said said you were no threat." He pointed out. I closed my eyes and let out a soft breath.

Mates are stressful.

"You wouldn't understand."

He let his fingers play with a strand of my hair, and it was hard to ignore the admiration in his eyes. And it increased my yearning for him. I wanted him. I wanted my mate.

Neither of us could help those feelings, but we can hide it. Or at least try to hide it.

"Then help me understand." He said, his voice stronger with determination.