Chapter 28

About ten minutes later, the Saiyans reached their destination.

"Suppress your power levels," King Vegeta warned. "You never know, we may be dealing with two of Frieza's men. These power levels are fairly substantial."

"But Frieza has no idea that we survived Vegeta-Sei's destruction," Bardock said.

"That doesn't mean that these power levels don't belong to two of his scouts," King Vegeta replied.

"He does kinda have a point there, Bardock," Turles admitted.

"Well, there's only one way to find out who they are," Vegeta said, speeding up slightly.

"Vegeta!" his father exclaimed. "I told you to suppress your energy, not increase it."

"Dad, if these really are Frieza's scouts, then we need to stop them from doing any serious damage to Earth," Vegeta replied. "Besides, those scouters are useless when we disguise our power levels."

King Vegeta said nothing.

Vegeta shook his head and sped up.

Bardock, Raditz, Goku, and Turles all did the same.

King Vegeta sighed and followed suit.

...

"So, where did your father and brother run off to in such a hurry?" Suri asked Tarble.

It was after school and Tarble had met Suri at Imperial Gardens. The Chinese restaurant had now become a popular after-school spot for Tarble, Vegeta, Goku, Raditz, and the others.

"Well?" Suri asked. "Where did they go?"

Tarble didn't know what to say. He knew his brother and father would kill him if he revealed that they were Saiyans. They would explode at him if he told Suri that they had gone off to face otherworldly enemies. And it would be embarrassing if he told her that he had been left behind because he didn't like to fight.

"They...They had to do something," Tarble answered. "They wouldn't tell me though. They just said that I couldn't come."

That was almost the truth. They had told Tarble that he couldn't go with them.

"Oh..." Suri kissed Tarble on the cheek. "I'm sorry. I didn't realize that it was personal."

"It's okay," Tarble said, relieved that he had been able to play that off so well.

"So, when do I get to meet your dad?" Suri pouted. "I still haven't gotten to meet him. Even though I was supposed to."

"Well, you see...Dad's kinda..." Tarble tried to think of the right words to describe his father.

"Kinda what?" Suri asked, eager to know a little bit more about her boyfriend's father. She had already met his brother, but she had only seen his father in passing. She couldn't help but notice that Tarble's brother, Vegeta, resembled their father more than Tarble did.

Tarble sighed.

"Dad acts kinda like how Vegeta does," he answered. "I guess that's where Vegeta got it."

"Wow," Suri said.

"Yeah," Tarble replied, "Vegeta was even named after our dad."

"Wow," Suri's ice blue eyes widened slightly. "What about your mom?"

Tarble sighed and looked down.

"Mom died when I was a baby and Vegeta was a year old," Tarble explained.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Suri said, looking sad.

"It's okay," tarble said, giving his girlfriend a slight smile. "You didn't know."