Cherry Roads

"Hey, homeboy. Why don't you go close that door, we'll get the prom queen and gorgeous over here— impregnated." Bender says.

"As long as I get Bender, I'm cool with it. No offense Brian." I winked.

"Hey!" Andrew yelled. Bender ignores him.

"Hey!" He calls again. He gets a response this time.

"What?" He says.

"If I lose my temper, you're totaled man!" The athlete quipped.

"Totally?"

"Totally!" Came the response of Andrew. The princess spoke up next,

"Why don't you just shut up! Nobody here is interested!" Said she.

"Really!" Andrew yelled.

"Well~" I dragged out and got a smirk from the criminal in response.

"Buttface." Andrew muttered under his breath, turning away from us.

"Well hey sporto, what'd you do to get in here? Forget to wash your jock?" I snicker at Johns remark.

"Uh, excuse me fellas, I think we should just write our papers." Brian called. He was ignored.

" look, just because you live here doesn't give you the right to be a pain in the ass,  so nock it off!" Andrew stated.

Bender faked a pout. "It's a free country,"

Claire rolled her eyes mockingly, " he's just trying to get a rise out of you. Just ignore him."

" red, you couldn't ignore me if you tried." She just rolled her eyes at him and turned back around.

"So..." I started

"So! Are you guys like boyfriend/girlfriend" bender continued.

"Steady dates? Lo- vers?" I smirked.

" come on sporto, level with us, do you slip her the.. hot, beef, injection?!"

"Go to hell!!"

"Enough! Scumbag."

Bender stands up, motions to the railing and walks over to it. I follow him and sit next to him when he pulls me by the waist Into his side.

"What do you say we close that door.  We can't have any kind of party  with Vernon checking us out every few seconds." He says. I nod and lean into his shoulder. He smells like pine and cigarette smoke, it's calming.

"Well, you know the door's s'posed to stay open..." Brian reminds timidly.

"So what?" I say.

"So why don't you just shut up! There's four other people in here you know..." he yells. Venders grip tightened on my waist.

"  God, you can count.  See!  I knew you had to be smart to be a...a wrestler." Bender retorts snidely.

"Who the hell are you to judge anybody anyway?"

"Really." Claire reinforced Andrew.

"You know, you two don't even count. I mean if you disappeared forever it wouldn't make any difference.  You may as well not even exist at this school." A lump forms win my throat when the athlete says this and I bow my head. He's not wrong. I thought bitterly. Bender was clearly having the same thought process as he took a moment to respond.

"Well...I'll just run right out and join the wrestling team." He says. The two populars laugh at him.

"Maybe the prep club too!  Student council... I bet gorgeous over her would be a wonderful gymnast too. Very flexible."

"No, they wouldn't take you." Andrew responds chuckleing sarcastically.

"I'm hurt."

" I actually was a gymnast when I was in middle school, I got kicked off the team though." I respond. Bender looks at me shocked and placed a finger under my chin to turn my head to face him.

"Two questions. One: why'd you get kicked? Two: are you still flexible?" He asks with a smirk. His intentions with the last question weren't exactly pure.

"I hit a girl in the face for calling me dumb. And you'll have to find out about that second one."

"You know why guys like you knock everything," Clare begins cutting off our outright flirting. Bitch.

"Oh, this should be stunning," bender murmured into my ear, which sent a shiver down my spine. He noticed. And a smile grew on his face. 

"It's 'cause you're afraid" she finishes.

"Oh, God!  You ritchies are so smart, that's exactly why I'm not heavy In activities!" John shouts with mock enthusiasm.

"You're a big coward!" She yells back. Suddenly I hear a small voice

" I'm in the math club." Brian says. Feeling left out.

" See you're afraid that they won't take you.  You don't belong so you just have to dump all over it"

"Well...it wouldn't have anything to do with you activities people being assholes...now would it?" I say, looking up from my tattoo covered legs to meet her eyes.

"Well you wouldn't know...You don't even know any of us."

"Princess, I WAS one of you. I got out of that hell hole trap of popularity and now, now I'm free. I can do whatever the hell I want."

"Well, I don't know any lepers either, but I'm not gonna run out and join one of their fucking clubs." Bender says stroking my lower back, under my shirt. I lean my head back on his shoulder and close my eyes once again.

"Hey let's watch the mouth, huh?" The athlete pipes up.

" i'm in the physics club too" Brian's nervous voice sounds.

" S'cuse me a sec" bender says to Claire. "What are you babbling about?" He asks.

"Well, what I said was...I'm in the math club, the Latin club and the physics club...physics club." He repeated. Bender nods and turns to Claire.

"Hey...Cherry...do you belong to the physics club?" Bender asks.

"What?" I ask. I wasn't paying attention, but I heard my name.

"That's an academic club" Claire says. Oh he called her a cherry. I did get a rather unfortunate name. Cherry.

" what's the difference?"

"Why'd you react to being called a cherry?" Andrew questions me.

"Unfortunately It's my name, dumbass" I retort.

" I like it" Bender whispers. " Cherry Roads. Pretty"

"Thank you."

" Claire, you never answered my question. What's the difference"

"So...academic clubs aren't the same as other kinds of clubs." She responds.

"Oh, but to dorks like him-" Bender points to Brian, " they are. What do you guys do in your club?"

"In physics, um, we ah, we talk about physics...about properties of physics"

"So it's sorta social...demented and sad, but social.  Right?" I speak up, keeping my eyes closed.

"Yeah, well, I guess you could consider it a social situation.  I mean there are other children in my club and uh, at the end of the year we have, um, you know, a big banquet, at the, uh, at the Hilton."

"You load up, you party." Came the criminals reply.

"Well, no, we get dressed up...I mean, but, we don't...we don't get high."

"Only burners like you get high." Claire scoffed.

"And, uh, I didn't have any shoes So I had to borrow my dad's.  It was kinda weird 'cause my mom doesn't like me to wear other people's shoes.  And, uh, my cousin Kent...my cousin Kendall from, uh, Indiana...
He got high once and you know, he started eating like really weird foods.  And uh, and then he just felt like he didn't belong anywhere. You know, kinda like, you know "Twilight Zone" kinda." Brian stuttered.