Taking the H.I.T.

(H.I.T. : Hero in Training.)

Hunter grinned as he rapidly pressed the buttons on his PS5 controller, laughing as he shot down an enemy. "HAHA! SUCK IT!"

Then, a voice spoke up from downstairs. "Hunter! Inside voice!"

"Sorry, Moddy!" Hunter called back as he kept playing before seeing Rascal fly onto his head. He smiled. "Hey, little guy."

Rascal chirped, smiling with his cute little beak.

"Oh, just a game I'm trying out." Hunter said, sitting back in his chair as he rapidly tapped the buttons, smirking as he started to mess around. He started making his character's gun fire in the air for no reason.

His character was then shot down and the words 'GAME OVER' were shown on screen.

Hunter chuckled and then was about to join another server before his phone rang. He narrowed his eyes and scooted his chair over.

"Rascal, can ya get that?" Hunter asked, his eyes glued to the screen.

Rascal narrowed his eyes and chirped.

"I am NOT lazy!" Hunter exclaimed before rolling his eyes and lifting his foot, managing to press the answer and speaker phone button. "Hello?"

"Hunter! Huntsman! Deer Hunter!" Luz's voice said over the phone. "What's up?"

"Oh. Hey, Luz." Hunter said as his new game began and he started moving his character around. "Not much. Just playing a game."

"Oh, good! Good! So...umm...when do you think you'll be done?"

"Not sure. It's an online game with people, so there's no pause button." Hunter said. "Why?"

"I need a favor." Luz said with a nervous chuckle.

"Okay...?" Hunter asked, tilting his head.

"So, remember when I got super sick 2 days ago?" Luz asked.

Hunter snorted. "Yeah. It was pretty funny. Wish I could've recorded it."

"Haha! Yeah...so...I may or may not have forced Amity to cuddle with me while I was sick." Luz blinked. "I was really affectionate for some reason."

"Please don't tell me you're just gonna gush about how cute she was." Hunter said with a groan.

Luz laughed. "We'd be here all day. But no...I got her sick."

"Oh, dang." Hunter said, his eyes still glued to the screen.

"Yeahhh. I promised to take care of her...and now SHE'S cuddling me to death." Luz said before there was the sound of moving around. "Amity! That's my phone!"

"Pay attention to meee!~" Amity's voice said sleepily.

"I will, mi amor! In a second." Luz said before focusing back on the call.

Hunter then laughed. "You do realize you're gonna get sick again after Amity feels better, right?"

"Yes, but I'll force Eda to say no to me about Amity coming over this time." Luz sighed. "Anyway, there's this news report about a strange creature coming from the woods...and I don't want any stupid hunters or YouTubers to get any ideas. I'm worried it might be The Owl Beast or a monster I missed." Luz sighed. "So! I want you to check it out for me!"

"Ah, c'mon! Why me? I'm in the middle of a game!" Hunter exclaimed, grumbling to himself as he faced his phone, but then his character was shot down. "AH! WHAT!? NO!"

Luz sighed. "Look, I know it's basically a waste of time, but I don't wanna take a risk! Didn't you say you wanted to make a fresh start?"

"I never said that in front of you?" Hunter said, raising an eyebrow as he shut off his game.