A Promise

(Requested by @another_fanfic_kid)

"And then he called me Mama!" Amity said over the phone. "I-I think I actually started to cry a little!"

Luz smiled as she tucked King into bed, kissing his forehead before slowly walking out of the room and then squealing. "He called you Mama?!"

"He called me Mama!" Amity cried. "I was worried that I'd just be the parent's date that is a giant jerk to the kid, but I'm not! He sees me as a mom too, I just...can I cry for a minute?"

Luz laughed, wiping away a few tears of joy of her own. "Go right ahead, love. But I better be heading to bed too. Remember, date night's tomorrow!"

"Yup. Cya then!" Amity said before hanging up.

Luz smiled before she walked to her room and laid down on her bed...before looking at a small and black box. She grabbed it and then opened it to reveal...a gold ring with a purple gem inside.

She blushed as she looked at the ring. "Heh...so, fate...do you think she'd accept a promise like this?"

There was no response.

"I hope she does." Luz said with a deep breath before closing the box and setting it back on her bedside drawer and falling asleep.

The next day, Luz had showed up in her signature black and purple suit on a hilltop Eda had suggested. A hilltop where she and Raine often went too.

She also heard that they were dating now. Good for them! She just had to wait for them to officially announce it.

Then, someone walked behind her. "You weren't lying. It's beautiful."

Luz turned around and smiled when she saw Amity in a rather beautiful dress. "The sight I'm staring at sure is."

"You're such a big flirt." Amity laughed, sitting down next to her on the picnic blanket.

Luz laughed. "I guess so, huh?"

After just a few minutes of small talk, Luz saw the sun begin to set. Maybe this was just her being cheesy again, or maybe everything was lined up for this moment.

This one question.

The sentence that would end with 'I promise'.

Luz looked at Amity. Her smile. Her laugh. Everything about her seemed to grow better with every passing day. She had to admit, there was stuff about Amity she didn't always like. But every couple had that about each other. And even then, Luz loved the fact that she wasn't perfect. Because to her? She never needed to be.

It was now or never.

"Amity...?" Luz asked.

Amity hummed, facing Luz with her golden eyes. "Yeah?"

"Can...can I ask you something? It's...it's a promise I wanna make to you." Luz said, blushing. Confessing your love was one thing, but this, whatever the answer, could change everything.

"Alright, shoot." Amity said with a nod.

Luz took a deep breath. "Okay...here it goes. Amity Blight, you mean just about everything to me. You saved my life, you cared about my life, you loved me for me. And heck, you fought villains and monsters just so I would be ok. You're even a mother to King! I've dreamt about that, but never thought it would happen! To this day, you have NO idea how much that means to me. Every passing day, I wanna spend my future with you. My future, I want it to be here on Earth, because it's my home...and I want the future to have you in it."

Amity's heart melted with each passing word and she smiled. "Luz."

Luz and Amity then both stood up, before Luz took another deep breath. "We've been together for 2 whole years, and soon? We'll be 18! Legal adults for crying out loud! High school loves aren't great at last that long!" She then blushed again. "It's why I'm so happy that you chose me...and I wanna make you happy."

She then took out the black box and slowly got down on one knee.

Amity's golden eyes widened and she covered her mouth with a gasp. She...she couldn't be, right?

"Amity Blight." Luz said again before showing the ring to her. "My promise with this ring is that I will only have eyes for you, that I will be devoted to you, and that I'll continue loving you until my days are up...d-do you...promise that too...?"

Amity's heart skipped multiple beats and she was left frozen and alone with her thoughts and Luz for a moment. Then, tears began to swell up in her eyes and she began to cry softly.

Luz's eyes widened a bit. "A-Amity-"

"Y-YES!" Amity suddenly cried out before tackle hugging Luz and kissing her on the lips for a good 10 seconds. She then parted. "I...I promise, Luz."

Luz's eyes widened and a gigantic grin formed on her face. "Y-You do!?"

"I promise...I really do." Amity whispered before gently taking the ring and sliding it on her finger. "With this ring...I-I promise to only have eyes for you, to be devoted to you, and to love you until my days are up."

Luz's eyes swelled up with tears as well and she hugged Amity tighter than ever before, tears of joy streaming down her face. "I-I-I'm...s-so h-happy!"

"M-Me too!" Amity laughed, crying a little herself. And just when she had thought things couldn't get any better.

They got a million times better.