Guilt

(Requested by Eris345)

Hunter sighed as he threw on a red button up shirt, black pants, and a black jacket. He then looked at his phone. Almost time to leave.

Despite everything being well now, not everything was fine. Luz, King, and Hunter were all going to therapy thanks to his uncle. And now with Raine and Eda being together, it was likely one day their families were united. Heck, even Amity forgave Hunter for the Golden Guard's actions.

But today? Today hit him with guilt like a bus. Today was the anniversary of Camilla Noceda's death. Now, the Clawthornes and Blights were headed to the Boiling Isles to honor her. Luz had just proposed a pre engagement ring to Amity, so she was at least trying to keep her head held high. But this day was hard for her. So, she also invited Willow and Gus.

Hunter felt guilt because he worked with the monster who killed her mother. He was 14 and already a psychopathic monster when Luz lost her mother...he couldn't help but feel guilty. Maybe he could've done something.

He sighed. "There wasn't anything you could've done. They forgive you. You're not a bad person anymore. You never were." Hunter told himself before he looked in the mirror and then screamed, jumping back and falling onto the floor. He looked back up, at the mirror, his magenta eyes wide with horror.

In the mirror, he saw a man in a golden tunic, and a white cloak and hood. They were also wearing a golden mask, one that made them look similar to an owl. The Golden Guard.

Hunter shook his head and touched his cheek, watching Golden Guard doing the same. He whipped his hand away from his cheek. "No..no, no, no! You're not here!"

Golden Guard was repeating his actions, but not speaking. Hunter then shut his eyes before opening them, and his reflection turned back to himself. He sighed in relief, his heart pounding.

Then, there was a knock on his door. "Hunter? Honey? Is everything ok?"

"Y-Yeah, Moddy." Hunter said as he stood up. "I-I'm ok."

Raine then opened the door and walked inside, their eyes softening. "You ready...?"

Hunter nodded before chuckling weakly. "W-Weird how I'm almost 18 and still acting like a crybaby..."

"Hunter." Raine said, kneeling down and wiping away the tears in their son's eyes before they could form. "Don't say that. Even grown men can act like this. No one ever said it wasn't ok to cry. It's part of being a human."

Hunter sighed and hugged his moddy. "T-Thank you...I'm ready now..."

Raine nodded, hugging back. "Alright. Let's go."

Luz walked up to the tombstone that she had put on top of her mother's grave. Her heart broke, but a sad smile formed across her face. She took a deep breath before facing everyone.

Everyone in Luz's family was there, and even the Demon King was there to help provide for the memorial service.

"If, umm, n-no one minds...I wanna say a few things." Luz said.

Everyone sat down, looking at Luz with soft eyes. Even the guards that were protecting the king gave her soft eyes.

Luz took a deep breath before looking at the grave. "My Mama was the best mother a girl like me could have ever asked for. She cared for me, raised me, healed me, loved me, and was just protective. And I won't ever stop honoring her life because of how much she mattered to my life. Sometimes, I think I'm back here and she's just in the other room. But that's never the case...I-I miss her so much, and even if I move on, that doesn't mean I won't stop missing her. My Mom, Eda, isn't replacing her. She's my mother like Mama is too. And, I'm sure she'd love to meet her. I'm sure she'd love to meet all of you. My wife to be, Amity Blight. My best friends, Willow and Gus. King's dad and his caretaker, Malos and Jean-Luc. My soon to be family-in-law, the Blights. My little boy, King. Our newest member of the family, Vee. My grandmother, Gwen. And, as shocking as this is? My...brother. Hunter Whispers."

Hunter's eyes widened and he looked up, not saying a word so he wouldn't interrupt her. Brother...? He helped the monster who murdered her mother, and yet...she saw him as a brother?

"Heck, he's even my partner in the superhero gig." Luz chuckled weakly before sighing and looking at the grave again. "I wish you could be here to see this amazing family of mine, Mama. Te quiero, Mamá. Por siempre y para siempre."

After the memorial service, and people just began to stay to honor Camilla, Hunter walked over to Luz. "Hey."

Luz smiled softly. "Hey, Hunt."

"...did you really mean that? What you said back there?" Hunter asked, looking into Luz's brown eyes with shock and a soft look.

Luz nodded her head. "Mhm. You've been like a brother to me, Hunter. Heck, even my superhero partner. With our parents dating, we're practically closer than ever."

Hunter's eyes wide with tears and he wiped his eyes. "T-That means a-a lot...oh, man, I'm gonna cry."

"Hey, that's my job for today." Luz chuckled, giving Hunter a hug. "...I know you feel guilty today...but you don't have too. Because this wasn't your fault. I will say it as many times as I have too until you truly realize it."

Hunter chuckled before crying softly. "Heh...this just got me 5 steps closer to realizing that completely...thank you...sis."

"Anytime, little bro."

"H-Heh...you do realize I'm older than you, right...?"

"By like a second." Luz said, rolling her eyes a little, still wearing the smile across her face. "I'm sure Mama would have loved to meet the true you."

"I-I would've loved to meet her too."