IVY AND THE EARTH CHILD

FIVE

𝕚𝕧𝕪 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕥𝕙 𝕔𝕙𝕚𝕝𝕕

𝙹𝚞𝚕𝚢 𝟸𝟺, 𝟷𝟿𝟾𝟹

𝙹𝚞𝚕𝚢 𝟸𝟺, 𝟷𝟿𝟾𝟹

THE MOONLIGHT BATHED the night sky, suffusing the surroundings with a silvery luminescence that seemed to caress everything it touched. Remus Lupin could feel his bones ache as he looked up at its fullness, hope and fear warring in his mind. He dug his hands into his hair, desperately praying that this transformation would be the last. Hoping that he'd never again feel the agony of muscles tearing and breaking or the overwhelming sense of self-disgust that followed each full moon.

Alone amidst the woods, he settled on the earthen ground, surrounded by the hushed rustle of leaves and the woody scent of trees. When morning's light would filter through the foliage, casting uncertain shadows, he pondered the fate of the silent trees, wondering if they'd endure undisturbed or be disarrayed, bearing signs of his disruption. His hopeful thoughts envisioned a dawn where he would awaken, his unconsciousness following the torturous realignment of his fractured bones, covered not in his own blood but that of a deer or some other creature. That this wouldn't be the night where he ended someone's life.

Remus Lupin hadn't spoken a word in weeks—a feat unprecedented in his entire life—but this was his life now.

In this existence, silence was now his companion. Striving to endure the transformation stoically, the intrusion of tears defied his resolve, cascading down his cheeks as he sat shrouded by the forest's quiet presence. Solitude was his refuge, a choice stemming from his desire to protect others from harm. Mostly, he inflicted pain upon himself, waking to discover bruised skin and fractured bones that Hogwarts could no longer mend. With aching limbs and a hollow stomach, the lack of sustenance, whether from poverty or waning determination, had exacted its toll. Emaciation now defined his frame, exacerbating the anguish that accompanied each transformation.

It was all made even harder with the memory that once he hadn't had to do this alone.

Amidst his torment, a disorienting sensation scrambled his mind, threatening to unravel memories that held both solace and distress. The tangled recollections blurred together, erasing facets of identity and purpose. He gazed into the obscurity, fearfully grappling with his fragmenting sense of self. Attempting to rise, his weakened legs faltered, and he crumpled, meeting the forest floor with a sharp thud. Leaves crunched beneath his weight, and a jagged rock met his nose with a jolt. A shroud of haze and agony enveloped him, presaging the familiar ordeal. A silent scream resonated, unheeded by any ears.