IVY AND THE DEAD RAT WALKING

FOURTEEN

𝕚𝕧𝕪 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕕𝕖𝕒𝕕 𝕣𝕒𝕥 𝕨𝕒𝕝𝕜𝕚𝕟𝕘

        SOMEBODY STARTED A RUMOR THAT Marlene McKinnon was a squib on her first year at Hogwarts

        SOMEBODY STARTED A RUMOR THAT Marlene McKinnon was a squib on her first year at Hogwarts. Of course, Marlene always knew who had done it and that person was sitting next to her now, leaning back into her chair with her hair in an intricate fishtail braid that hung around her shoulder, draped like a lover's arm. Marlene was scowling at Ivy from the corner of her eyes, knowing it couldn't have been a coincidence that yesterday's failure of a lesson whilst partnered with the Evans girl, was met with the terrible ridicule in the great hall this morning.

      "Though not a spellcasting component by itself, the proper pronunciation is essential for successful spellcasting. Some very advanced witches and wizards can cast spells without the use of an incantation, but this takes many, many years of practice," Flitwick continued to lecture. He was standing on the platform, overlooking the rows of isles where each student, a mix of both Slytherin and Gryffindor, sat. He was a short man, due to those goblin roots, and a talented duelist, if the reports Marlene read about him in the library had any merit.

       "Perhaps the reason you can't levitate a feather," Ivy said in a harsh whisper, not looking away from Flitwick's lesson, even though Marlene could see from the girl's notebook, that she had written down the entirety of their professor's lesson plan. "Is because you'd sooner make eye at me than study."

       Marlene felt a dark flare of indignation settle over her, dousing her cheeks with heat as she looked away. Ivy didn't pick up her quill, even with Flitwork informing the class to write what he was saying down. Marlene hastily jotted down the notes, dreading the moment when he made them practice the spell.

      "The wand movement is the shapes you make in the air with your wand to help shape a spell. It is said that the wand movement along with the incantation help to gain the desired effect." Ivy's hand went up after Flitwick finished speaking, and the man, excited for participation from the mostly silent room, quickly turned his attention on the girl. Marlene felt her nose scrunch, but she bit down her frustration. "Yes, Miss Evans."