IVY AND THE LONG ROAD HOME

SIXTEEN

𝕚𝕧𝕪 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕝𝕠𝕟𝕘 𝕣𝕠𝕒𝕕 𝕙𝕠𝕞𝕖

      SOMEBODY SET HER BED on fire. It was unfortunate, but the burning was contained with a particularly nasty spell she recognized and another that she did not. Ivy had been exhausted, thinking it odd how empty the Slytherin common was when so many were usually seen crowding the rooms.

      The suspicion had crept in ever since she first heard the word 'mudblood' when she had been sorted into Slytherin. She had gone up the steps, her eyes watching the door to her dorm carefully as it creaked open under her touch. There was no smoke, an odd sort of thing considering her canopy and duvet sheets lit up like a torch.

      Ivy thought it strange, how the fire refused to spread, staying confined to her bed as if some hands were keeping it cupped in secure bonds. She walked closer, inspecting the magic with keen interest, not even angry. Maybe, perhaps, a little irritated since she kept her potions essay on her pillows. Now, she'd have to rewrite it, a huge waste of time that could be spent learning new magics.

      "Do you like your gift, you little mudblood?" The voice of one of her dorm mates rang out with a particularly cruel laugh. Ivy didn't need to turn to know that the other three girls were behind her, laughing as if there was something funny about this.

      Ivy took a step closer, inspecting the fire that lapped at her bedsheets, wondering what spell they used. It was certainly not in any of her textbooks, giving her the conclusion that the three first-year students had not been capable of it. Instead, she imagined they enlisted the aid of older students.

      "Sorry," Ivy said, raising her wand and muttering a quick spell that flooded the flames with a douse of water. It completely rid the bed of the fire, leaving behind the ashes of her green sheets. "I'm just blown away by how absolutely unoriginal your insults are." Ivy smiled, raising her wand in a swift spell that slammed all three beds that weren't hers. With a loud crash, they hit the opposite wall.