IVY AND THE CURSE GONE ASTRAY

TWENTY-TWO

𝕚𝕧𝕪 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕔𝕦𝕣𝕤𝕖 𝕘𝕠𝕟𝕖 𝕒𝕤𝕥𝕣𝕒𝕪

        THERE WAS A TIME when Ivy would have shoved Lily into the murky lake before she ever embraced her

        THERE WAS A TIME when Ivy would have shoved Lily into the murky lake before she ever embraced her. In the summer of 1974, approaching their fourth year at Hogwarts, Ivy had taken a baby Kraken, and stowed it away in her bag. She had named her Circe, and had let her go in the lake just outside Cokesworth. It was just a baby, and she had worked to catch it before summer began, just to test what magic could be used on a magical creature.

       As it turned out, many spells bounced off the slimy skin of a Kraken who feels threatened. Even the children had some manner of magical protection. One, however, had not. It was magic she had developed, a melding of the same material a baby Kraken would eat once hatched. It had been a mix of alchemy and potions. She had fed a small draft to a small number of little clams. If the young creature consumes something of its own volition, its magical protection that seemed innate was rendered inactive. The hardest part hadn't even been the catching, but rather, hiding it on board a moving train and not alerting a single professor. Baby Krakens, as it became very obvious when it backhanded her with one of its tentacles, were not good pets and she was no zoologist. It took fifteen charms to contain it in a small wine bottle, and it would look quite nice on her mantle, resting in suspended animation.

        "That's quite messed up," Vanille had said, sitting next to Ivy on the train, reading a Vogue magazine. "Even for you."

       "Why?" Ivy asked, crossing her legs with her left on top of the right. "It doesn't feel anything."

       "Newt Scamander is turning in his warm bed," Vanille said with a breathy scoff.

       "Krakens torture and eat both people and smaller animals," Ivy said with a shrug. "Newt Scamander can kiss my arse."

      "You do what you want. You always do," Vanille had replied, flipping another page, laying against the seat of the train, her entire body taking up the whole thing.