IVY AND THE FRAGILE PEACE

EIGHTEEN
𝕚𝕧𝕪 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕣𝕒𝕘𝕚𝕝𝕖 𝕡𝕖𝕒𝕔𝕖

EIGHTEEN𝕚𝕧𝕪 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕣𝕒𝕘𝕚𝕝𝕖 𝕡𝕖𝕒𝕔𝕖

         THERE HAD BEEN A PARTY THROWN IN THE COMMON ROOM. The red banners had been strung up, commemorating a win that had been a long time coming. Quidditch season was over. In the background were banners, each streaming of different designs, a golden trophy was in the hands of one of the first years, staring down at the magical little thing. The first year's fingers were tracing the etching of 'November 1977.'

           There was a light feeling in the room, a euphoria that was as intoxicating as the brandy Sirius had slipped into the punch. It was both freeing and suffocating all at once, music reverberating through the walls, through the crowds of bodies, and yells as loud as the roar of the lions their house was based on. It was a wonder that the party was not shut down, even as James had tried to usher the younger years to bed.

        "Who cares, let them stay," Sirius had said, and those same first years looked upon him like a king.

        "I brought firewhiskey!" Marlene had shouted, entering the common with three bottles of it. Sirius sent James a sheepish smile, and finally relented to send the children, years 4 and down, off to bed. There was hollering at Marlene's arrival, and Sirius watched as she filled the glasses, frothing in the mugs that must have been stolen from the kitchens.

       The crowds of students were rather loud, with red cheeks, and laughter that made Sirius Black smile in his mug, even as he purposefully avoided Marlene's crowd. In the end, the match had been a tough one, against Slytherin. For once it hadn't ended with the catching of the snitch. James began to recount the story of his narrow and near victory, all the natural charisma to make just about anyone like him. Shame said charisma never worked on Lily until quite recently.

        "And then the snitch just disappeared," James continued, and sixth year, Corbin scoffed.

         "Yeah, they do that," Corbin replied, and Sirius was already heading over.

       "Nah mate, it didn't fly. It vanished," Sirius said with a laugh, interrupting the story as he threw his arm.

           "Nobody caught that?" McTavish asked with a frown. "Those rotten cheaters."