IVY AND THE BURDON OF BLAME

TWENTY-FIVE

𝕚𝕧𝕪 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕓𝕦𝕣𝕕𝕠𝕟 𝕠𝕗 𝕓𝕝𝕒𝕞𝕖

      THERE WAS A FLOOD IN THE great hall, soaking into the long dining tables, into the freshly cooked goose, watering the mashed potatoes

THERE WAS A FLOOD IN THE great hall, soaking into the long dining tables, into the freshly cooked goose, watering the mashed potatoes. Worst of all, it had completely soaked her notes before she had the chance to close her book. Ivy Evans had looked up at the enchanted ceiling, spelled to hold a beautiful array of stars. Instead, that spring of 1975, someone had enchanted the ceiling to began to crackle with thunder.

Her eyes narrowed, slapping closed her book as students screamed, laughed, and ran for cover. Ivy immediately settled her eyes on the four boys, whose laughter drowned out the screaming. James Potter looked soaked to the bone, his friends not much better as they had a sort of pride in their crude spell that Ivy did not understand. It wasn't funny and her notes were ruined. Ivy barely had time for anger when Albus Dumbledore waved his wand, a long ostentatious thing, against the torrent of wind and rain. He shouted a spell, reversing the charm the four boys had done.

She was already packing her shit, spotting Vanille glance over to her, a discreet slide of eyes, there and gone. The dark girl had long since used a drying spell on both herself and her plate. Now, she was currently continuing with her glazed goose, cutting it up with a delicate hand as students still continued the ruckus from the spell. Ivy had already slung her bag over her shoulder, a deep well of resentment sinking into her as she made her way towards the exit. Just at the doors, she discreetly took out her wand, spotting the four boys still congratulating one another.

She sneered, flicking her wand with a silent spell, and the great hall filled with a bright full moon, looking so natural that it might have been summoned by Dumbledore himself. She spotted Remus Lupin staring up at it, and if he hadn't been obvious before, he was now. His skin had gone pale, and the laughter stopped, just as it had the first time she had enchanted the ceiling in the first year.