IVY AND THE FACES OF EVIL

TWENTY-THREE

𝕚𝕧𝕪 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕒𝕔𝕖𝕤 𝕠𝕗 𝕖𝕧𝕚𝕝

         THERE WAS MOSS GROWING FROM THE middle of the book in her hands

         THERE WAS MOSS GROWING FROM THE middle of the book in her hands. A curious little piece of expanding magic. Much of Ivy's study was overcrowding with enchantments and various sorcery. She did not like this one, and she dropped it onto the ground as moss and vegetation grew from the creasing of her leather-bound book. She stood up from her chair, nearly knocking it down with the backs of her calves as she felt her scowl morph into something rather ugly.

       "Son of a bitch," she whispered, running her long fingers through the curly strands of red hair. Little vines began to grow next, and her smile thinned as it lapped at her shoes just before she waved her hand and the book hovered into mid-air. "Hello there."

       "You didn't inspect it for curses before you opened it?" Bacia asked from the sitting room, flipping through channels on the radio for something pleasant to listen to. With the various rock stations, passing by one after another, Ivy had a rather intense headache.

        "This is from your pile," Ivy replied, looking at the woman from over her shoulder, lazing on her couch.

       "My bad then," Bacia said, now giving Ivy her attention as she landed on a station that played classic rock. Ivy hated it, but knew how Bacia felt about the tunes. The taller woman walked near, not stopping until she stood next to Ivy, who wrote runes into the air with a finger of her right hand. From the tip, a small sphere of ethereal light surrounded the book and the plants that continued to grow. Ivy pressed her hand against it, and the plants continued to grow into the sphere, raised in the air. "What kind of curse is it?"

        "The kind that is not optimal for a room filled with priceless books and irreplaceable magic," Ivy said, sending Bacia a dark look that nearly made the taller girl feel 100 centimeters high. "It will eat them. A way to conceal secrets from all but who cast it."

       Bacia winced as she felt Ivy's stare practically pierce right through her.

        "It's amateur and barbaric," Ivy said, shrugging and letting out a frustrated breath through her nose. "That's how I suspect there's nothing useful inside." She paused, as if fighting with herself, and Bacia knew what won when she groaned.