Take A Chance On Me {3}

The bell rang and I got up and stretched. My hair had dried out, which was good. The water had been dripping out of my hair onto the shoulders of my shirt.

                I got up and left the classroom, my stomach growling. Damn, nearly drowning sure did make me hungry.

                I went to my locker and put in my combination, pulling it open and grabbing my lunch bag. I shut my locker and sighed, mentally preparing myself as I walked down the hallway and into the cafeteria.

                “Tate!”

                Eric’s voice made me turn as I entered the lunchroom. He and the others were sitting at our usual table, talking and laughing together.

                Eric gave me an impatient look as he motioned me over. I walked over to the table and he snorted, shaking his head.

                “Don’t tell me you’re still pissed about what happened at the pool. Get over it you baby! Sit down.” He commanded, gesturing at the seat I usually sat in.

                I ground my teeth together as I sat down. I forced a smile, brushing my hair from my eyes as they all stared at me.

                “Of course I’m over it. It was no big deal.” I said nonchalantly.

                “Yeah, you overreacted big time. It’s not like you were going to drown. I mean, who doesn’t know how to swim when they’re in high school?” Tabitha asked in annoyance. “You were just faking for attention, weren’t you?”

                I pretended not to hear that, instead opening my lunch and beginning to eat. No, I hadn’t been faking. I honestly didn’t know how to swim. But they would probably make fun of me if I admitted to that. So, let them think I was just trying to get attention.

                “I don’t know, Tabitha. He looked really pathetic flailing around underwater. I think that Tate really doesn’t know how to swim.” Eric said, laughing hysterically. “What a loser!”

                I blushed, looking down at the table as the others joined Eric’s laughter. Well…SpongeBob couldn’t swim either, and he lived underwater!

                Hm, I was making a lot of SpongeBob references lately. I should probably get a hobby.

                “You know you’re pathetic when Callum has to save you.” Eric snickered.

                Well if someone wasn’t so obsessed with his shoes Callum wouldn’t have been involved! Ugh, sometimes it was hard to believe that I was the gay one of the group.

                “Hey Eric, speaking of Callum, look over there.” Rupert said, nudging Eric and nodding.

                We all looked over and saw Callum sitting alone at a table in the corner of the cafeteria. His head was bent down and he had earphones in.

                “Let’s go.” Eric said, smirking and standing up.

                The others copied him and I nervously stood up as well. I didn’t want to be mean to Callum. The guy had just saved my life!

                We walked over to Callum’s table. I felt myself growing excited as I glanced over my shoulder and noticed that we had most of the cafeteria’s attention by now. All eyes were on us.