Take A Chance On Me {24}

**Ashley's POV**

            I bit my lip as I watched Callum talking to Tate, who was looking more comfortable by the minute. I wish I had someone like that, to make me feel safe. I haven't felt safe at all recently. I never even wanted to get in with Eric and Tabitha and Rupert, but I was desperate. I had no friends, I was ugly, and an outcast. The only thing I had was my money, which no one knew about.

            I hadn't told anyone because then I'd have a bunch of artificial friends, which I didn't want. Somehow, Tabitha found out. My name or something, and she was the only one smart enough to put two and two together. I wanted a friend so badly, and she said she could give me a makeover. Make me likable, powerful, popular. I didn't know it would come with a price I actually couldn't pay.

            ~Flashback~

I watched solemnly as the ambulance sped off, Tate probably dead or dying inside. Tabitha was wiping at fake tears, acting like she had witnessed a horrible 'accident' as the authorities talked to them. When they left, they all straightened up and laughed, like there was something funny about murder. They burst through the doors of the pool room, almost running into me.

            “Whoa! Ashley, you missed it, where were you? Oh, it doesn't matter. The problem is dealt with.” I grit my teeth, wanting to snap at Eric, wanting to do something but not having the guts to as Tabitha gave me a funny look.

            Callum had already sped off behind the ambulance, following it to the hospital. Following Tate to the hospital. The panic and desperation in his eyes as he tried to revive Tate left a guilty bitter taste in my mouth. I hadn't technically done anything, but that was almost worse in retrospect.

            It felt like the sky rested on my shoulders as we piled into Eric's grossly over-expensive car. I struggled not to visibly wince in disgust when Rupert winked at me. I used to like him, but it's obvious where that ended up.

            When we got to Eric's house, which was empty as usual, we went up the stairs to Eric's swanky apartment sized bedroom, Tabitha linking her arm in mine and giggling, still not down from the 'high' of almost killing someone. Well, I hope it was almost.

            For about twenty minutes they bragged on and on about what they did, and I was almost green. Rupert noticed my expression and raised an eyebrow.

            “What's your problem? We gave you another chance after sticking up for Tate that one time, so don't blow it again. Not that we'll have to worry about him anymore.” He chuckled, nudging me as if I was supposed to agree. I shoved his arm away, repulsed, and stood to my feet. I was furious.

            “What is wrong with you?! You probably murdered him in cold blood, and all you can do is sit here and laugh about it? And for what?! You killed him just because he was the only one brave enough to stand up to you deranged, over-sized toddlers? Because he loves someone you decided was lower than you?” The look in their eyes was cold and snake-like now, but I was too charged to stop. “I don't know what happened to all of you to make you like this, but I hope you get some help where you're going. Because I’m going to tell everyone what you did.” I said, my fists clenched and my voice shaky with terror.

            I moved to go past them and to the door, but I knew better than that. Tabitha stood, her eyes trained on me like a predator zoning in on its prey. Her hair was glossy and black as she stood over me, like the spindly legs of a black widow spider.