Take A Chance On Me {22}

A couple of days later I was finally allowed to leave the hospital. They were going to let me go earlier, but they found some of my...past injuries, and decided to keep me longer since they weren't properly healed yet. On Monday, I was absolutely terrified of going back to school. I even thought about dropping out and continuing elsewhere just so I didn't have to face them.

            Callum told me I should go to the police, but that was the last thing I wanted to do. Not only would my parents be livid if I got them bad publicity by bringing the police to their home, but I was afraid of what Eric could do to me in the mean time. If he heard I was talking to the cops, who knows what lengths he'd go to to shut me up? He's already tried to kill me. I know what he's capable of, and I don't want test him anymore.

            “What do you mean you've given up?” Callum exclaimed on Monday morning in his car. He offered to take me to school in the morning after he took his sisters so I wouldn't have to go on the bus with Rupert, since he took the same bus I did.

 “I mean, I'm not going to draw any more attention to myself,” I said. “Now that we know Eric isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, I'm going to stay as far out of his way as I can. And you should, too. I don't want you getting hurt.”

            “I can handle myself.” He grunted, glaring out the window as we arrived at school. “What I can't handle is seeing Eric as a person and not a punching bag every day in school. Why can't we just tell someone? What's the worst that could happen?”

            “I can think of a few things,” I mumbled. Then the bell rang, and we didn't have any more time to talk, which I was thankful for.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

            There were some whispers in the halls that I had almost drowned again, but surprisingly they stopped after first period, and nobody teased me about it. People even looked wary of me, like if they paid too much attention to me something bad would happen. I thought at first people were afraid of Callum, who had a dark aura radiating off of him while he acted like a guard dog on the look out for Eric, but that wasn't it. During second period was when I first figured it out. Eric was in that class, but wouldn't so much as look at me. Hey, I wasn't complaining, but I thought it was a little strange after the  abundance of death glares I had received from him over the past few weeks.

            I noticed a couple of girls to my right looking at me, and whispering. Seconds later Eric threw a pen at them, shaking his head and narrowing his eyes. I realized he was trying not to raise suspicion. He figured if people stopped talking about it, it would eventually fade and people wouldn't suspect it was anything other than an accident. I assumed he was spreading that lie. I hoped someone would be smart enough to make the connection, seeing as Eric would have no idea if it was indeed an ''accident'' if he wasn't there. Of course, no one confronted him about it. I don't even know if I would, being in their situation. If I suspected Eric of attempted murder, the last thing I would do is march up to him and tell him so to his face.

            Meanwhile, Callum was practically vibrating in his seat next to me. His eyes never left Eric's pin head, and his fists never unclenched. He was wound so tight I began to worry he would explode. By the end of the period, he stood and began to move towards Eric. I grabbed his hand and pulled him away, but he didn't even look like he realized he was doing it. Not good.

            “Callum, I told you. Let it alone.” I whispered, eyes glancing around nervously for Tabitha or Rupert. It was like I was on high alert now, and I couldn't help it. My eyes stopped roaming when I spotted Ashley, the first time I’d seen in her in almost a week, cowering across the hall. She looked terrified, almost as bad as me. I knew it wasn't a good idea, but I decided to go over and talk to her.