Take A Chance On Me {17}

***Callum’s POV***

               “Mike, what happened to your face?” I asked, reaching out and gently stroking his cheek.

                But I didn’t even have to ask him. Of course I didn’t have to ask him. Because I knew damn well that he had been attacked again.

                “It’s nothing Callum. Honestly.” He said, blushing a little and gently touching his split lip. He also had a black eye.

                “Stop letting them hurt you Mike. Please,” I begged, pulling him into a hug and kissing his cheek. “I hate to see you hurt. Do you want me to handle them?”

                Mike shook his head, tilting his head so that he could kiss my lips despite his split lip. “Callum, don’t worry about it. Please don’t worry about it. I have everything under control.”

                “Yes, you really look like you have everything under control,” I said sarcastically, gesturing to his injured face. “You let those stupid bullies beat you up without even fighting back, and I hate it!”

                “Calm down,” he said, wrapping his arms around my neck and kissing me again. “You can be so short tempered, Cal.”

                “Gee Mike, so sorry that I’m pissed about a bunch of idiots constantly beating the shit out of my boyfriend,” I growled.

                “Callum, please calm down.” He rested his head on my shoulder and I tightened my arms around him. “I’m fine. I really am.”

                “If they keep hurting you, I’m going to start hurting them,” I threatened.

                He playfully squeezed my upper arm. “And I know you’re strong enough to do that. But I don’t want you to, and I’ll be upset if you do.”

                “Mike, let me teach you how to fight them off. Come on, you know I could teach you how to. If they try to mess with you again, you can fight them off,” I said, looking down at him as I slowly released him.

                He stepped back and shook his head. “No. Cal, I don’t want to fight them.”

                “Mike, you can’t keep letting them hurt you!” I said, getting angry again. How could he just stand there and let bullies hurt him without even fighting back?

                “Cal, I’m not going to start fighting back! I’m not violent!” He shouted back, beginning to sound impatient. “Look, let’s quit talking about this. You’re getting angry, and so am I. So let it drop and let’s go do something fun.”

                “Mike, you need to fight back,” I snapped. “Quit letting them hurt you!”

                “Stop telling me what to do! I’m not fighting back Callum! I’m not violent like you, you fucking asshole!” He spat.

                “Shut up!” I cried, gripping his shirt and raising my fist.

                I groaned and rolled over, rubbing my temples and trying to block out the memory of that horrible day. I took deep, calming breaths, trying to think about anything but that day.