Take A Chance On Me {23}

***Callum’s POV***

            I looked around for any sign of Tate, trying to ignore the slight worry in me. It was impossible to keep him in my sight 24/7, especially since we had different class schedules. I had to learn not to panic when he wasn’t around me. The douche squad would probably leave Tate alone for a little, just so that no one got suspicious of them.

            I sighed in relief as I spotted him at his locker. I moved down the hallway to him and placed my hand on his shoulder.

            He jumped in shock and spun to face me. “Don’t do that!” He cried. “Don’t sneak up on me like that! Ugh, for the heart attack you just gave me, I should be allowed to touch your booty whenever I want for the rest of the day.”

            “You’re perverted.” I rolled my eyes and took my hand off of his shoulder. “Anyways, I was wondering if you, uh, wanted to…” I trailed off, wondering how to word this. I could feel the blush on my face.

            “Wondering if I wanted to…what? Join the circus? Rub my hands all over your abs? Breed penguins?” He raised an eyebrow. “Out with it, big guy.”

            “I was wondering if you wanted to go on a date with me,” I said, spitting the words out as fast as I possibly could.

            “A date? Or a friendly date?” Tate asked, a grin spreading over his face.

            “Um…” Oh man. What was it? A date, or a friendly date? I definitely had strong feelings for Tate, but I still wasn’t entirely sure if I was ready for a relationship.

            “Well, I guess we’ll figure it out as we go,” Tate said, slinging an arm around my shoulder. “So where are we going for this date of ours?”

            “I was thinking we could go get dinner and then maybe watch a movie together?”

            Tate laughed. “You’re cliché, aren’t you?”

            “We can do something else,” I said, blushing in embarrassment.

            Tate shook his head. “No! I think dinner and a movie sounds good. What movie?”

            “I don’t know. I figured you could just come over and we could find something on Netflix,” I said with a shrug.

            “Oh, I get to go over to Callum Cook’s house,” Tate said, winking and nudging me. But then he stopped and groaned. “Oh god. Don’t let your sister drag me into her room and do naughty things to me, Callum.”

            “I’ll keep Cara under control,” I promised.

            I was asking Tate on a date partly because I liked him and wanted to spend time with him, and partly because I wanted to cheer him up. He’d been so scared and sad lately, with good reason.

            I wanted to take his mind off of Eric and them for one night. I wanted to make him happy again, like he had been when I had met him.

            “Good,” Tate said with an approving nod.

            “Well, come on. We can go grab dinner now,” I offered.

            Tate shut his locker and slung his backpack over his shoulder. He followed me out of the school and down to the parking lot. We got in my car together, and I took off in the direction of the restaurant I wanted to take Tate to.