Take A Chance On Me {16}

Grimacing, I shut the door behind me and rubbed my ear. My mother had been particularly loud this morning as I got ready for school, since she saw Craig waiting for me to get out of the shower. I got an earful because I should have let him shower first. Sigh.

I adjusted my backpack as I got on the waiting bus, Craig shoving past me and sitting with his friends. I sat down near the front, shutting my eyes and leaning my head against the window. Lately I’ve just felt so tired of my life. Maybe that’s because I found something better that I realize subconsciously how terrible I’m living. I was used to it, until Callum came around. Then I got a taste of what I could be having, and suddenly I can’t stand being anywhere but with him anymore. And I don’t know what to do about it.

The screech of the bus’ brakes yanked me from my thoughts, and I got off the bus and went into the school. I immediately perked up a little bit, knowing I’ll see Callum at some point today. I stopped at my locker and opened it, groaning when a piece of paper fell out. I bent down and picked it up, scanning it expecting some awful insult.

I was surprised to see a school ad for driver’s ed. I had already taken classes for it, thanks to my parents. Well, sort of. One day they had this evil glint in their eyes when they saw some horrible traffic collision on the news, and the next day I was signed up for driving classes. I purposely chose not to look into that one too much.

Now all I need is my license, since I have my permit. It was just about time to take the test, too! I crumpled the paper in my hand, a smile on my face. I haven’t really been studying for it, though…I know! I’ll get someone who can drive to help me practice! I got my books and smirked, knowing exactly who to recruit for this job.

****

“No.” I gaped at Callum during lunch, dropping my apple onto the tray.

“What do you mean no?! You didn’t even let me finish!” He gave me a stern look, like I should know why he was saying no so easily. I pouted, looking down.

“B-but, I really just wanna get my license and I’m kinda rusty on my parallel parking, and there’s no one else to help me.” I glanced up at him from under my lashes and saw him struggling, like he was trying desperately not to give in to my pathetic face.

I instantly increased the pout to maximum force, adding a small sniffle to sweeten the deal.

“Alright! Fine, I’ll help you. But only with parallel parking, and I’m driving! Not you. You’ll learn from me, okay?” I grinned, leaning over and wrapping my arms around his shoulders in a quick embrace.

“I knew you’d give in! Haha.” I let go, watching the blush spread with satisfaction. Fortunately Natalie and Callum were at odds with each other as of late, meaning she chose to sit elsewhere. This also meant I had Callum all to myself for all of lunch! My day just improved exponentially.

I scooted a little closer to Callum, who peered at me from the corner of his eye. I smiled, just watching him sit there all tense and awkward at my close proximity. He’s so cute. And so freaking big. It’s hilarious to see him hunched like a shy kitten when he’s embarrassed. For some reason shyness is ten times more attractive on him and his largeness. It just fits.

And there is no way he is driving, I thought with an evil smirk.

***

Later that day, when school had ended I was so excited my heart was gonna be arrested for abuse, it was beating through my chest so hard. In a car, alone, with Callum, driving around who knows where.

I just kept smiling at Callum as we walked o his car, and he gave me wary looks. Every so often he’d look back and cover his bum, making sure I wasn’t about to grab it. Damn, he’s learning.