Take A Chance On Me {19}

“Did you see that fight between Callum and Eric yesterday?”

                I rolled my eyes as I walked by yet another person talking about yesterday’s fight. It would be the hot topic for the week. After all, everyone was used to seeing Eric abuse Callum. No one had ever dreamed that he would fight back, especially not like that.

                I was still sore from the beating I had taken. Callum had brought me home and sat with me for a while.

                But I had fallen asleep, and when I had woken up, Callum was gone. He was really torturing himself over my injuries, and I was worried about him.

                I leaned against the wall, looking around for any sign of Callum. I really hoped that he didn’t decide to skip school today.

                “Craig, did you see that fight yesterday?!”

                I jumped a little and looked over, not realizing how close to my brother and his friends I had been standing. Although, most of them didn’t know Craig was my little brother. Craigy liked to keep the family faggot a secret.

                “Yeah,” Craig said with a shrug. “I saw the fight yesterday.”

                “I’ve seen you talking to that guy before, Craig. Who is he?” Some girl asked curiously.

                “His name is Callum. He just needed my help with something before. I don’t talk to him,” Craig said.

                “Did you see that scrawny boy that was with Callum? Kid got the hell pounded out of him by those two guys.” One of Craig’s friends said. The others snickered and nodded.            

                “Who was that guy anyways? Obviously he wasn’t there to help Callum.” Another guy added.

                “Dunno. He looked like he just got in the way,” Craig replied, face blank.

                I clenched my fists tightly and stormed away. I should’ve gone right over, slung my arm around Craig’s shoulder, and told all of them that we were brothers. But just because Craig made my life miserable, it didn’t mean I had to do the same to him. I was better than that.

                “Tate?”

                I spun around to face Callum. He hesitated before walking over to me and searching my eyes, a frown on his face.

                “What’s wrong? You look upset.” He asked.

                “I’m better now that you’re here.” I said, grinning and slapping his ass.

                “Tate, you haven’t done that in so long. I thought you were stopping that for good.” He groaned, shifting away from me slightly.

                “Done with that booty? You’re out of your freaking mind.”

                Callum rolled his eyes at me. “I can’t handle you sometimes. Are you feeling any better? You were in a lot of pain yesterday.”

                “I’m fine,” I lied. “Why’d you run off on me? I woke up and you were gone.”

                “Tate, I do have a family. I doubt my sisters would ever shut up if they found out I was sleeping over your house. They don’t know about the one night,” he said. “Besides, I wanted to get out before your parents got home. I didn’t want them to give you any shit over me being there.”