Chapter 27

Olivia looks at the exchange, Lucas leans back, and he holds Maya at arm's length. "Oh, my you have grown," Lucas said as he was assessing her.

Maya giggled, "I couldn't stay young forever, you know and so have you, I must say." Lucas lets her go and he turns to Olivia and he takes her hand and pulls her next to him. She didn't know why she felt pleased, that he had remembered her.

"This is Bernard's younger sister, Maya. And Maya this is my wife, Olivia.""Hey, Maya," Olivia says self-consciously.

"You are the girl that hitched Lucas, I'm surprised." She doesn't know how to respond to her, she didn't know if it was meant to be a compliment or what?"Let's all sit, in the living room," Lucas said.

"I will be there shortly. I need to clear the table."Lucas smiles at her, "Okay. But don't take too much time.""Lucas, hurry." As Maya calls out.With that Lucas turns and he is on his way. Olivia starts clearing the table and she can hear laughter coming from the living room. Especially Maya's, she washes and cleans the whole kitchen.

She heads to the living room and finds Maya sitting in close proximity to Lucas. Olivia sits on one of the single couches. She can feel Bernard's stare boring into her, but she doesn't will herself to look at him.

Olivia doesn't say anything as they chat, she assesses them, and she can see that they are comfortable with one another. She couldn't deny that Maya was pretty, and she looked as if she was a year or two older than her.

"Coffee?" Lucas offers everyone."Yes, please," Maya says."Yes." Bernard also chimes in.

"Not for me," Olivia says. "Okay, three coffee's then."

Lucas heads to the kitchen and Olivia contemplates going after him but before she does, she is interrupted by Maya.

"You are very pretty, I see why Lucas likes you." Olivia couldn't take it as a compliment because her words had a cutting edge to them. She made it sound as if that was the only thing that Lucas saw, and she was right. She didn't have much to offer other than that.

"Yeah." That was all that she could master to say."Looks don't get you anywhere. Eventually, they fade away and the person sees your true colors, and they will be out the door when that happens." Bernard said. And even though he was telling Maya, she knew that the words were directed at her.

"That's true, and besides Olivia has a lot more to offer. Right?" Maya said in a mocking tone.Olivia nodded, she decided to get up and call it a night before they said any more hurtful things."It was nice to meet you, Maya. Goodnight."

"What you are already sleeping?" Maya said, but she seemed pleased. "I guess we will talk sometime. Don't worry, I will tell Lucas that you went to sleep." And she knew she was dismissed.

"Okay," Olivia said.Olivia got out of the room and headed for the bedroom and changed into her night attire. She was having a hard time falling asleep. She felt out of place because it seemed as if they had known each other for a long time. It also bothered her that Lucas would be sitting next to her. She tried to rationalize with herself.

Her fear grew, what if Lucas realized that he liked Maya in the relationship type of way. Where would she go? She hoped that he wouldn't realize it too soon. After waiting for over an hour, Olivia finally gave in to sleep. She roused when she felt the bed sink, and Lucas's arms came around her. She felt warm and safe. He kissed her temple, and with that they went to sleep.

Olivia woke up the next morning to the sun streaming in and got out of bed. She looked to the side and noticed that Lucas was already gone.

She went to the bathroom and showered then got dressed. When she was pleased with her look, she went outside, and her heart sank when she found Lucas and Maya talking by the porch. Bernard wasn't there, and it made her feel more uneasy.

Lucas got up from his chair, and he kissed her cheek. Olivia could swear she saw Mia wince or was it her imagination?"Good morning." As he smiled at her. "Morning." She replied.

Maya got up and she smiled. "Morning Olivia."

"Morning."

"I didn't want to wake you. You looked peaceful whilst sleeping." Lucas said.

"It's okay. I am going to go eat."

"I made some food; your plate is in the microwave."

"Thanks."

Olivia turned away and went to the kitchen. She reheated the food and sat by the kitchen counter. She didn't want to disturb them and would feel so much better eating by herself. A minute later, Lucas walked in. "Come and sit with us outside."

Olivia didn't want but she would do it so that she would make him happy. When she got outside Lucas opened her chair for her and he sat next to her.

Olivia ate her food and listened to Maya telling Lucas what she had been up to for all this time.

"I need to go paint," Lucas said.

"No problem, I want to catch up with your wife," Maya said.

"Of, course. I will give you two girls time, so you can get to know each other." He replied. Olivia wanted to refuse to be left alone with her, but she held her tongue.

"I will see you later," Lucas said to Maya.

"Cool." She replied.

Before he left Lucas leaned down and placed a kiss on her hair. "I will see you later my love."

Olivia felt her heartwarming, "Okay." As she stuttered.

She watched Lucas until he was out of view. Then she was bought back to reality when she saw Maya was also doing the same thing. Then Maya turned to her.

Early access to chapters: www.patreon.com/taniashava