Chapter 31

Lucas often watched Olivia without her knowing, he had realized that she was a completely different person from the beginning. She was now a bit more selfless. At times she would surprise him when she answered in a sweet manner or offered him help with whatever he was doing.

It was all the little things that counted. Lucas looked up when he heard her coming down the stairs. He saw her wearing a yellow sunflower dress that flowed about her. He smiled at her, and she smiled back. Which surprised him because she rarely smiled in the beginning.

When she reached downstairs, he opened his arms for her, and she went in. He enfolded his arms around her.

"You look lovely." He whispered in her hair, her hair smelled like sweet berries. He loved the scent.

There was a clearing of throats behind them, which lead to Lucas letting go of her. They both turned to Maya and Bernard.

"You guys are here."

"We ready," Maya replied.

Bernard was carrying a basket. Lucas was inspired to go on a picnic, he had asked Olivia a few nights ago if she liked them. Her answer had made his heart ache when she told him that she had never been to a picnic. She was never afforded the luxury to, so she couldn't really say.

He had told her that was all about to change and that they would all go on a family picnic. He wanted her to have a real feel of what family meant.

Lucas came back to his senses and took their basket from the table, and they headed down to the lake. The sun was out, and the birds were chirping.

"We will go set up the picnic area." Said Maya.

Lucas handed Olivia the basket, "Join me when you are done."

Olivia's heart flustered at the way he said it, she watched Lucas take off his shirt and toss it to the side. She had never realized that Lucas had such a toned body with muscles, then he and Bernard went into the water.

"Let's go," Maya said.

Olivia looked away from Lucas and felt the warm color rise to her cheeks. She was actually blushing from looking at Lucas.

She followed Maya, they got to a space where there was a tree, with plenty of shade. It was pretty cool there. She set the basket down and took out the blanket and laid it. They didn't take out the food yet. Olivia sat on the blanket and so did Maya sitting on the blanket that she had laid out. Olivia heard laughter ringing. She saw Lucas swinging from a rope tied onto a tree, then he splashed into the water. He resurfaced seconds later. That made her smile.

He looked really nice when he was laughing. When he turned and noticed her, she felt her heart skip a bit. He waved at her, and she waved back reluctantly.

"What's with the white hair?" said Maya.

Olivia slowly put her hand down when she realized that it was still raised.

"It's a wig."

"Did you want to match Lucas's hair that badly?"

"No. I always wore this color wig."

"I see. Why do you still have it on?" said Maya.

"I don't know. Just a force of habit, I guess."

"Why the color white? It's not like you are pure or anything. You are actually far from it."

"I just liked the color."

Maya stood up, "Let's go dip our feet in the water."

Olivia got up and did the same thing as Maya. She took off her sundress and placed it on the blanket, she was left with her black bathing suit on. Maya looked pretty in a light pink one. They went to the edge of the lake and sat down.

They dipped their legs into the water. It was cold at first but then she got used to it. Lucas and Bernard came to where they were sitting.

"Aren't you going to swim?" Bernard said to Maya.

"I am easing into the water," Maya replied.

Lucas smiled at her, "Well I'm not giving you a choice."

"what?" Olivia replied not understating what he meant.

He grabbed her hand and pulled her into the water, Olivia couldn't help but squeal.

"You are so dead Lucas!"

Lucas laughed, he felt happiness radiate within him when she had called him by his name so freely and eagerly.

"I guess we are playing cops and robbers."

From the name, she could decipher that she was the cop. And she had to catch him in order to win.

She starts to swim after him. Yet he eluded her, he would go under the water and pull her leg. She would turn and try to catch him.

She finally caught him from behind. Olivia put her hands around his lean waist, his back was broad, and she held him tightly.

"I finally got you. I win." She laughed.

Olivia felt exhilarated, she had never played such games when she was young, and her throat closed when she realized that Lucas was willing to play with her. She also noticed that it seemed as if she was giving him a back hug for a while.

Before she could withdraw her hands, Lucas placed his over hers. Her heart beat a bit faster at the gesture. Olivia felt the warmth of his back seep into her.

"Yes, yes you won my love."

Early access to advance chapters: www.patreon.com/taniashava